Âme

"I'll see you inside." Paul said to me and walked into the house, without a single glance at Val or I. "No one is stopping you." Valentin muttered under his breath. I turned to glare at him. "What the hell?" I asked. "What?" He replied, confusion clear in his expression. "That is Paul. Paul Lahote, LaPush boyfriend. Where did William James come from." Val's eyes darted here and there. "Look, I didn't know, I'm sorry." He answered. "It's fine." I said in exasperation. I couldn't be mad at him. I shouldn't be mad at him. I was seeing him after so long, anger would ruin that. "Wait. How do you know William James? I never mentioned the name to you." I narrowed my eyes at him. "Mandy." He spoke. "You guys talked about my life problems behind my back. You're my friend, Val, not my father." I said sadly, and turned to go inside, after Paul.

It hit me like a wave, like a strong, violent, ruthless, wave. This feeling of home, of familiarity, of belonging and of comfort. The staircase* (Look below for the pictures) going up to the rooms, my mother's favourite flowers in the centre, the window in the back looking out to the gardens. The amicable scent of fresh grass and sunlight filled my nose. Memories flooded in my head. I looked around and saw Paul sitting on one of the seats.

I walked to Paul and squatted down, looking up at him. "I'm sorry" I said. "Mandy told him about William and he— he mistook you for him."

"Will he ever be out of your life?" He asked "Tell me honestly, Alexandra."

"Honestly? Paul, I don't know." I shook my head. "Whatever happened in the past has ended. It was an unwise decision, I know that. It's only going to be a big deal if we make it one. We came here to enjoy our time, so how about we just do that." I pleaded. He stayed silent. After what seemed like forever, he nodded.

"Of course. Absolutely" I released a breath I didn't know I was holding. "Thank you." I said. I stood up, pulling his arm so that he got to his feet. I embraced him. "Are you tired?" I asked, my mouth next to his ear. "Not at all." He said, his breath warm on my neck. "Do you want to go shopping?" I asked with enthusiasm. "I have clothes now," He pulled back to flash a dazzling grin at me. "I don't need any more."

"Excuse me, Miss." I turned to the voice. "Leo! How are you." I asked him. His broad lips pulled into a smile. "I'm great, thank you." He replied. "How is college going?" I asked him. "Very well."

"Good to know. It's extraordinary how much you look like your father now." I laughed. "Yes," He agreed. "It's nice to be finally out of my gangly frame." I smiled and nodded. "I wanted to ask where I should place the luggage."

"In my bedroom, please."

"Yes. Good evening." He gave me one final smile.

"Who is that?" Paul asked. "A childhood friend, known him for as long as I can remember." I said. "He's Hugo's son." Paul eyed him sceptically as Leo made his way up the stairs into the east side of the house. "Were you ever involved with him, like in a—" I burst out laughing.

"Paul." I said, out of breath. "No. God, no." Another giggle escaped my mouth. "He's gay. He was in a relationship when I left, I think. Why don't you go upstairs, just follow Leo. I'll be back." Paul left.

I called Rick, telling him we'd reached. Then I called Val.

"My dear friend, how can I assist you?" he asked.

"Where are you?"

"Gardens."

"Val, your gardens, my gardens*?" I made my way from the drawing room to the ballroom and out into the gardens.