l'anniversaire

Paul's Point Of View.

I took a deep breath. The huge ballroom thing in her house was all decorated with balloons and great lighting. The giant chandelier was alight with electric candles. I could hear laughter and voices. Everything sounded so very French. I was in a guest bedroom on the upper floor. Alexandra was in her room getting dressed. I put on the cuff links Valentin had lent me. He said, and I quote, "It adds class. Just try them on." when I had refused, and then he left to help Lex. He said if he didn't assist her, she would get frustrated and rip her dress apart. I doubted that.

I was dressed in a mint-gray shirt and black trousers, and polished black shoes. I was so nervous. Parties in La Push were drinking cheap alcohol from plastic cups, swaying to music and making out with some girl, then waking up drunk behind some bushes in someone's backyard, or dragging myself out of someone's bed, only to go look for my clothes. This was different. This was extravagant, this was the kind of party rich kids have in movies. I took a deep breath and knocked on Alexandra's door.

"Come in." She said and I did, only to have my jaw drop to the floor. That was my imprint right there, alright!

She wore a stunning blue dress, that clung to the curves of her upper body. She was wearing light golden jewelry, her hair was falling over her shoulders in soft luscious curls, there was soft makeup on her face, barely noticeable, but she was wearing deep red lipstick, the colour of dried roses, the colour of red wine.

She bit her lip. I wanted to bite her lip.

"Do I look okay?" She said hoarsely, gesturing wildly to her dress? Her voice was the same soft yet strong sound, but her accent was meters away from what it had been.

"You look like a completely new horizon, breathtaking, and stunningly beautiful." I said without thinking. She walked to me and took my hand. "I am so happy you are here. Je vous aime." said she, and kissed my hand. The kiss sent sparks up my veins.

"What are we, in a Victorian movie? Enough with the poetic descriptions, let's go." Said Valentin, as he emerged out of her walk-in closet. He was dressed in a maroon shirt and grey formal pants with perfect black boots. His black hair were settled on his head in a neat fashion, but a single strand was falling over his forehead. He had a classy navy-blue and gold watch on his hand. He pushed away at the falling strand in distress. He was definitely the kind of French boy over which girls giggle and wink on the street. I wanted to punch him in his perfect teeth. I don't even know why, I just wanted to.

Alexandra walked over to her vanity and picked up the phone. "I have to take a picture for Mandy and Rick." she said. She handed the phone to Valentin. I took slight pleasure in that. She wanted a picture with me.

"Ouch. I'm hurt." Valentin said something in French, and Lexi just shook her head. Then she laced our fingers together and gently leaned against my side. We clicked a picture.

"My turn." Declared Valentin. She unnotched from me to look at the pictures, then handed the phone to me. He slung an arm around her shoulders, while she wrapped her arm around his waist, her other hand resting on his stomach, she placed her head against his collar. "Smile." I said with controlled emotion. And they did, like best-friends, like each-others everything, like Valentin was as happy as Alexandra.

Fifteen minutes into the party and I was already on my second drink. Lots of girls in dresses and guys in neat shirts. Alex was talking to a group of girls just a few feet from me. She introduced me to some people minutes ago, but I felt better alone, A couple metres away from the bar

"How you doing, mate?" Valentin came to me.

He grabbed a tasteful finger food from the nearby tables. He had a glass of wine in his hand "Great." I replied. He stood next to me and checked the time on his watch. "What did you get her?" He asked. "Nothing." I took another swig of my drink. He did not take it up further. This small talk was getting boring. I turned my gaze back on Alexandra. She was moving toward a boy, with light curly hair tied back and an easy smile. She held his shoulders as they gave each other cheek-kisses.