Travel

I was making last minute arrangements. My birthday was in three days and I wanted everything to go perfectly in order because I didn't want to upset Val. I didn't think I would be spending my birthday in France. I also didn't think I would be spending my birthday with Paul. But now that we were back together, forever, I just had to ask him to come to Strasbourg with me, among other things. Paul was to return from another one of his patrol shifts at around ten at night, which would be any moment now.

I was cooking a late-night snack when Paul strode into the house. "You're late." I noted. "Sorry." He jumped over the kitchen counter and lifted me up, spinning me around. I laughed with delight. "I was taking a shower. I did not want to stink. Mmm, what are you cooking?" He asked as he sat me down onto the counter. "Single serving strawberry croissant. You want?" I asked. "Sure. I'm always hungry."

I jumped down from the counter and resumed rolling the dough. "So..." I began. "Yeah?" He moved to stand behind me, pressing his chest to my back, wrapping his arms around my hips. "I was wondering if you'd like to take a trip with me?"

"A trip? To where?" Excitement shone in his eyes.

"Strasbourg." I spoke.

"Strasbourg." He struggled to pronounce it like me, which brought a smirk on my face. "That's in France, where you grew up."

"Yes. Would you like to come?"

"Of course. Yeah." He said instantly. "When?"

"We leave tomorrow afternoon." I informed nonchalantly.

"Tomorrow afternoon!" He exclaimed. "I don't even have a ticket; I don't have good clothes. I don't have money."

I turned to face him. "You don't have to do anything. It's my treat. And I'll take you shopping. I have wanted to shop with you for as long as I can remember." I said enthusiastically.

"Why? Why tomorrow? Why not next week, or maybe, next month." He said sarcastically.

"Because It's my birthday." I spoke. His grip on me tightened. His eyes searching my face. "Birthday?"

"Yes. The day you're born, comes annually."

"I know what a birthday is. Why the fuck did you not tell me! I don't even have a gift."

"I don't need a gift. I need you to come to Strasbourg with me. Valentin is throwing me a party and I have to be there. He literally physically mailed me the invite."

"You don't just go to France like that."

"You can if you have a well paying job." I said in protest.

"You don't- Oh yeah you do." He sighed.

"So, will you come?"

"I'll have to ask my Dad. And Sam."

"I can ask them for you." I supplied.

"No. I'll do it."

"Okay, thank you so much." My face stretched into a huge smile. I resumed making my croissant. I added the strawberries and put them in the oven.

"What's the plan." He asked. He had let me go now, looking for something in the fridge, while I cleaned up.

"Okay, so we go to my house tomorrow. I have to see my parents before leaving the country and I also want them to meet you. Then from there well catch our flight to France, stay at my house over there for 3 days, longer if you want, and then we come back." I said in a rushed tone. "You don't have to come to meet my parents if you don't want to." I added hastily.

"No. I'll meet them, of course. I just don't know if they'll like me. All the other girls I went out with..." He stopped as our eyes met a shocked look on his face.

"All the other girls you went out with......?" I prompted

"Their parents didn't like me, at all."

"Well, maybe because they didn't know you." I said as I walked over to Paul and wound my arms around his neck. "No. They did. I was a hot-headed jerk who played around with their daughters."

I was a little startled to hear this. "What do you mean."

"Umm. Before I imprinted..." He paused, visibly swallowing. "I went out with a lot of girls. And then left them." He said. "Why?" I asked. "Because I used to get bored."

"Oh my god. You were a jerk."

"Yeah." He let out a short laugh. "I just hope your parents don't hate me."

"Now, I don't know about that." I joked. He poked my in the stomach, making me giggle. "Im so happy." I sighed.

"I think my Dad is cool with it, I just don't know about Sam."

"Don't worry. If he doesn't come around, I'll charm him." I gestured making sparks with my hands. "Charm?" He raised his eyebrows. "Yes. I've been told I'm very charismatic. I have charmed people. I can charm people." He pulled me into a hug. "Not now, you can't" And kissed my neck.