Chapter Forty One

I, Lauren, and Alfie were stood backstage, watching a warm-up band entertain the growing crowd. I was shivering with fear.

"You never told me it'd be this busy." I murmured, glancing at Lauren. She looked just as scared as me, but Alfie looked excited.

"Erm... I didn't know it would be. I didn't think it'd be such a big attraction." She saw the look on my face and laughed nervously.

"It's not funny Lauren, I'm shitting bricks here! There must be nearly a thousand people out there now."

"That's about right." A voice said behind us, the huge manager who looked more like a boxer standing with us. "There's still a queue outside too."

"Oh, god."

"Don't worry about it. Your fourth on, they'll be all fired up by then-"

"Fired up enough to rush on the stage and throw me off it if I'm terrible?"

"Jakers, when has that ever happened?!"

"I'm gonna go and get a drink, and a good view." Alfie said. "Can I come back here when he's done?" He asked the manager.

"Course, just keep hold of your pass."

"I'll stay here." Lauren assured me.

"Where's your laptop?" The manager said suddenly, frowning at the equipment at my feet.

"I play vinyl."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah. Why? Is that a problem?"

"No, er... OI, PHIL! Better get the old gear out mate, this one's old school."

I went bright red, but Lauren was laughing. "No school like the old school." She said, giving me a one-armed squeeze. "Is Pezza here yet?"

"No, she's coming in at the end." I said, checking my phone for the fiftieth time. To my surprise this time, I actually had a text waiting.

Hot Lips: On the balcony bit with the girls babe, in the corner above the bar. SO EXCITED!! Play that funky music... love you, good luck gorgeous xxxxxx

"She's here."

"Oh good! Right, I'll wait till the one before you is done, then I'll run and join her, then bring her back here when you're done. Yeah?"

I just nodded, suddenly jumping as the lights went out and the first one took to the stage. "I think I might be sick." I mumbled.

"You'll be awesome, you always are!"

"Oh, Perrie's on the balcony by the way, she said her, and the girls were in the corner above where the bar is."

"No problem. Should find her easy enough. Oi, cheer up will you! Even if you don't win, everyone's gonna love you."

"Thanks for reminding me it's a competition." I laughed dryly.

"I'm gonna get you a drink."

"No, I'll throw it up, seriously. Just help me get set up in a minute?"

"Okay."

"And talk about something, anything. Take my mind off it."

"Alright... like what?"

"I dunno. Any men on the scene?"

Lauren laughed so loudly, every one of the other acts for the night looked over, one of them even standing up looking concerned.