Chapter One

Jakob's POV.

"Boo."

I jumped out of my skin as someone grabbed me around the waist, and I spun around to the cackling blonde that was my best friend, Lauren.

"Are you trying to give me a stroke?!"

"I couldn't resist, you looked really into that... What are you doing Jakob?"

"Working. You're early."

I worked part-time in a hi-tech music store, and had been setting up some equipment, the likes of which were dotted around the shop for people to try out before buying.

"Only a few minutes early. I've missed you man!"

"I know." I smiled. "I've missed you too."

"You need to stop working all the time and come out more."

"It's money in my pocket, at the end of the day." I shrugged. Being in my final year of university, and the oldest in a family of four, I needed all the extra cash I could get.

"Quiet in here today isn't it?" Lauren commented.

"It's quiet every day, we're expensive."

"Hmm. Right, come on. It's one o'clock now!"

"Give me two minutes to grab my jacket."

I collected my things from the staff room and headed out with Lauren. "Right, I have an hour." I sighed, stepping outside with her. "Feed me, then you can show me this dress."

Lauren was a girly girl. She loved dressing up and making an effort. Hair extensions, acrylic nails, make-up, you name it, she was into it. Everyone thought it was so crazy that my best friend was a female but me and Lauren go back years and she was just like a sister to me. Her personality seemed like I was just hanging around with the lads so we really got on well.

Lauren laughed and linked our arms together. "Deal... can I hear your phone?"

I quickly dug into my jacket pocket, briefly noticing I had a couple of texts and emails, and what looked like a few Instagram notifications, before I answered the incoming call from my father.

"Hi Dad."

"Hi son. You alright?"

"Fine thanks. Just come on a break. Lauren's here."

"Hi Mr. Hunter!" Lauren yelled, turning a few heads.

"Tell her I said a calm hello." My dad laughed. "I just wondered what time you finish? I couldn't remember."

"Six."

"Would you mind bringing home something for dinner?"

"No worries. Lauren's coming round tonight though, is that okay?"

"No problem. She's always welcome. Tell her we have plenty of wine in the fridge already."

"I'll let her know." I laughed. "Thanks dad. D'you need anything else?"

"No kiddo, but Alfie's out today, will you give him a call and see how he's getting on? He won't answer if I ring him?"

"Why not?"

"He had a fight with Maddie this morning and thinks I took her side, nothing to worry about."

I rolled my eyes. I never fought with my brother or my sisters, but they fought with each other 24/7. "I'll call him. I wish I could get him on where I am but were overstaffed as it is."

"He wouldn't accept anyway son. You know what he's like. Anyway, I'll see you tonight."

"See you later dad."