Chapter Eighteen

Thankfully I went home to a silent house, everybody in bed already. I made myself a drink and sprawled across the sofa, taking advantage of having the room to myself, but it wasn't long before my phone was buzzing in my pocket. There were two messages, one from a number I knew was Perrie's and one from Lauren. I saved Perrie's number under a different name, resisting reading her message just yet, and opened Lauren's.

Lauren: Oioi! How was 'THE DATE' then? I want deets man! Xxx

Laughing to myself, I ignored it. She would phone me the next day anyway regardless whether or not I texted her back. I opened Perrie's message, wondering what she could be saying after I had spent all night with her.

Hot Date: Hi babe, right number I hope! Are you home okay? Kinda gonna miss being your Instagram buddy now I have your number ☹️🙈. What's my name in your phone? Xx

Me: Hey, yeah I'm home thanks. Awh so am I! Well you can be my texting buddy instead😋. And I'm not telling you xx

Hot Date: Good good, I'm cuddled up in bed now with a cuppa, what you up to? Awh, come on, pleaseeee tell me 🥺 x

Me: Same, I'm enjoying being alone in the front room with a cuppa 😂. It doesn't happen often with five of us living here 😋. Nope, sorry, you can guess but I'm not telling... 😋 xx

Hot Date: Bet that feels nice 🙈. I love how cheeky you are when we talk like this but you're really shy when we're face to face, it's sweet. Hmmm I'll have to have a think then! I should probably go to bed soon babe, busy tomorrow. Take care, hope it goes okay at the hospital on Monday, let me know xxxx

Me: I know, I need to work on the face to face side of things! Okay, will do. Sweet dreams Perrie, thanks for tonight xxxx

No sooner had I let go of my phone, it started to ring. Lauren. I should have known she wouldn't let me ignore her for very long.

"Hello."

"Oh good, you're still awake."

"Yeah, I only got in a few minutes ago. I was just gonna text you back."

"Yeah right Jakers, you were gonna ignore your nosey best mate! Don't forget I know you better than you know yourself! So come on. Details. What went down tonight?"

"Not a lot." I chuckled nervously. "Nah seriously... it was just... well, like a first date. We talked, a lot. Drank wine, got to know each other.

"So, what's she like? I mean, what's she really like? Compared to what we see on the TV and in interviews and stuff?"

"She's amazing. She's so much more than all that. And I think she might be the most caring person I've ever spoken to."

"Thanks a lot." Lauren joked. "Just messing... in what way?"

"In every way, she's just so... she listens. We spent most of the night talking about me." I laughed nervously. "I'm not used to that at all."

"Hey, I listen to you!"

"I know, you loser. I never said that you didn't!"

"Don't you forget who your best mate is." Lauren said, but I knew she was joking. "Have you heard any more from the police?"

"Not since the day I come home, no. Don't worry, you'll be the first to know when I do."

"I better be. And remind me, what time's the hospital on Monday?"

"Half past eleven, but you really don't need to come..."

"And I've told you to drop it, your dad can't miss any more work and I won't let you go on your own. I'll pick you up at eleven on the dot."