Chapter Nine

"I told you advertising would work!" Lauren squealed next to me. "Look at them all! There's even more here then there was last time!"

I didn't answer. I felt sick as a dog.

It was a Saturday night. Monday, I was going back to uni and Lauren had been adamant I should do another gig before I got swamped in studying again.

Lauren seemed to have become my unofficial PA; after the last gig, she had asked Damien's uncle if he knew any other people who owned a club or a bar who'd be interested in me playing.

Before I knew it, the owner of a club called 'Opus' had rang me directly and if I was available this coming Saturday. Lauren had spent the rest of the week contacting practically everybody she knew, and even those she didn't via social media.

And this was the result. I was stood at the back of a platform in darkness, watching the sea of people below. Some dancing already the chart music pumping through the building, others crowding the bar...

I was opening the night, and two other DJ's were on after me. Lauren was right; there were more people here tonight. And it was scarier. These people knew what they wanted to hear, it wasn't just some random line-up... There was a standard.

"Jakob, I'm gonna hit the lights in a minute, then they're all yours."

I nodded automatically to the man next to me. I couldn't remember his name or what he did.

"Oi." Lauren jabbed me in the ribs. "Champ, you're gonna rock it! You watch, they won't want you to go. They'll want you to come back even after the others have done. The next twenty minutes, you own this place. Yeah?"

"Lauren, I can't."

"What did Perrie say to you yesterday?" Lauren shouted. I found myself smiling.

Perrie must have seen some of the conversations between me and Lauren, or between me and someone else on Instagram. She had sent me a message asking what was going down and why she didn't know about it. I had told her about tonight and how nervous I was. Her reply was still probably my favourite message of hers yet.

Perrieedwards: If what I heard about your first one was anything to go by, you are gonna ROCK that joint!! Turn those nerves into positive energy and BLOW EM AWAY! Feel the fear babe, you'll smash it and I wanna be hearing all about it afterwards. Play that funky music!! Mwah xxxx

"Jakob, we're ready for you."

I jumped, the man was back. Lauren squeezed my hand and kissed my cheek. "Go on Jakers! Kick ass!"

I took my position in the darkness. I purposely averted my eyes from the crowds below. My hands ready, I waited.

The strobe lights started shooting through the room and a huge cheer went up. I could make out the hoards of people surging forwards, clambering together. I took a deep breath in and dropped the first beat. More cheering. I heard Lauren woop behind me, and I felt braver. 

'Feel the fear.'

**

Lauren and I sat in a quiet corner of the club. Well, quiet meaning less people around to knock your own drink all over you. I was on a major high. I was happily drunk. Many random strangers passing by had recognised me and ran over, drunken hugs been exchanged, slurred words of congratulations and praise being screamed in my ear over the sound of the last DJ.

"Sex on the beach?" Lauren yelled, gesturing to the bar again. I nodded, grinning at her. She wrapped her arm around my neck and planted a sloppy kiss on my cheek.