Chapter Thirty Six

Somehow, I drifted into an uneasy sleep, resting my head against Perrie's front door. But it wasn't for long.

I heard a car approaching and I jumped up so fast I tripped over my own feet and nearly fell over. I managed to contain my need to run at Perrie the second she got out of the car and I stood waiting instead.

"Thanks Carl... I'll get my stuff tomorrow. Yeah, night."

Perrie approached me and I couldn't help but gasp. Her left arm was in a thick sling and I thought her face looked a bit swollen.

"Hi babe."

She raised her good arm for a hug and for a minute I forgot my anger, pulling her as tightly as I dared into my arms.

"You're freezing, Jakob... How long have you been sat here?!"

"All night."

"What?!"

"Lauren... rang me. Wanted to know you and Leigh-Anne were okay. As soon as she heard you flew straight home, I came here."

I pulled away from Perrie, purposely pushed her good arm off me. "She thought I would've known before all of the articles, you see."

Perrie clenched her jaw and determinedly grabbed my hand. "Let's go in babe. Come on."

I waited on the sofa with my arms folded while Perrie made a cup of tea, If I'd have been in a better mood, I would've insisted on doing it, with her only having one arm. But it didn't even cross my mind.

She came back in with only one mug and set it down and sat beside me.

"I only did you one, thought you need it more than I do."

I didn't answer.

"Babe, what's wrong?"

I laughed bitterly. "D'you really not know?"

Perrie sighed. "Look, I know I probably should've called you-"

"Probably?!"

"I just didn't want you to worry!"

"And what do you think I did when Lauren rang me and started talking about something, I had no clue about? What do you think I did when I had to hear it from her?!"

"Bear... look at me please."

I reluctantly turned my head.

"Please don't be angry babe, I just couldn't bear hearing you get upset and panic... I just wanted to come home, see you in person and let you see for yourself that I'm fine."

"And it never crossed your mind that I might find out elsewhere?" I said, not comforted by her words. "Or that it'd make me feel worse that probably most of the country knew before I did."

"I didn't know that would happen-"

"Did you see any paparazzi at the accident?"

"Well yes-"

"Then you should've known!" I shouted. I looked away, leaning back, and biting my thumb. Perrie didn't say anything for a long time.

"I meant; I didn't know half the country would know before you." She said feebly, but once again, I laughed sarcastically. She was making me feel worse but didn't seem to realise.

"So, in your mind, you thought I'd see the articles on my own accord and that was fine with you? Why didn't you get-"

"Jakob, I don't need this. I'm exhausted." Perrie sighed.