Chapter Fifty Four

After going home the morning after, I didn't see Perrie for the rest of the week. She threw herself into work and tour preparations and I felt I should put things straight with my family once and for all, which didn't take long. Once they understood my actions properly, we were back to normal.

Maddie remained very quiet and distant from all of us. She still didn't know what to do regarding our mother and I convinced my dad to leave her to it, not to put any pressure on her. Although of course I hoped completely that she would never speak to her again.

Perrie and I spoke over the phone and by text and she told me she needed me free on Saturday night.

"I'm taking you out, then we're going back to mine, stuff to tell you. Can you make it?"

"You bet! What do you need to tell me?"

"Well I'm not gonna tell you, now am I?"

Having got used to being with Perrie so much in such a short space of time, spending most of the week without her seemed completely alien. I had almost forgotten what it was like to function without her there, even if we did speak every day. In some ways I thought I was being pathetic. But on the other hand, isn't that how couples are supposed to feel about each other eventually? Inseparable? I was just feeling it a bit quicker than most.

And I missed her like crazy.

"Dad, can I talk to you about something?"

Dad turn around from stirring something over the cooker and smiled, nodding at me to sit down. "What's up?"

"Nothing... there's just something I wanted to tell you."

"Uh-oh." He chuckled. "How afraid should I be?"

"It's not like that," I grinned. "It's just... something me and Perrie have talked about. And it's definitely not gonna happen yet but I want you to know we've... talked about it and stuff."

"Okay. And what is it?"

"The possibility of me moving in with her one day." I said quickly, biting my lip.

Dad nodded slowly, continuing his stirring. "I see. When will that be?"

"I don't know, we've just... mentioned it once or twice. It's not concrete. It's just a thought for one day, that's all."

"I see." Dad said again. "Well I hope she's got enough room for all your music. Half of its still clogging up the attic you know."

"Aren't you... angry or anything?"

"Of course I'm not." Dad turned the cooker off and sat facing me. "I don't expect you to live here forever Jakob. I'm very happy you've found someone you talk about things like that with."

"Me too." I grinned.

"And I'd be a lot less worried than if you moved in with Lauren, to be honest."

"I don't think I'd make it a month." I laughed.

"Exactly! Anyway... Isn't that quite a serious conversation to have with someone you've only been with a couple of months? Just an observation."

"I know. And like I said I'm not going anywhere yet. It's just something we both want. Eventually."

"Good for you." He said sincerely. "But if you don't mind me asking, and don't take it the wrong way, but why not yet? What's holding you back son?"

I felt my face burning and looked down at the table. "I told Perrie I... don't feel like I'm done helping you take care of our lot yet."

When my dad didn't say anything, I glanced up and he was just smiling at me strangely. Like he was about to laugh. Or cry?