Chapter Fourteen

I walked to my street and into my house in a complete daze. I didn't even hear my dad's voice when I got in. I just sort of stood there staring.

"Excuse me, I'm talking to you."

"What?"

"I said where have you been?"

"I told you... I text you last night! I was with a friend."

"I spoke to Lauren before I heard from you. She said you weren't with her!"

I pulled a face. "What makes you think I was with Lauren?"

"When are you not with Lauren?! I've been really worried Jakob!"

"Calm down, I was with a friend from uni! She drove past me when I was walking home in the rain, because I'd missed the bus, and said I could stay with her till the weather chilled out."

"Oh. Right. Which friend from uni?"

"You don't know her." I shrugged. "Anyway, I'm home now. D'you want a cup of tea?"

"No thanks... are you alright? You look a bit pale."

"Just tired... Sorry I worried you."

Dad smiled. "I'm always worried about one of you lot, son."

"I'll do tea tonight, make up for it."

"Well I wouldn't say no to that." He chuckled. "I've got to go back to work now."

"You've not done?"

"No. Split shift. I'll be home about half nine, ten."

**

I let my dad out the house and sighed with relief. So glad I was home alone for once. I needed time to think.

Why had she kissed me?

Not that I was complaining at all. I'd spent an evening with Perrie Edwards, as casually as two completely ordinary friends having a sleepover and catching up. And at the end of it, she had kissed me. And she was a damn good kisser.

I just couldn't figure out why she had done it. Maybe she hadn't had much action since she broke up with her ex, and was using me for a cheap thrill.

I knew deep down she wouldn't do that. She wouldn't do that to me. Not after everything last night. I hadn't ever opened up to anybody like that in my life, not even Lauren. Perrie doesn't have it in her to use people, I think. No, I know.

Which still left me asking why?

I could always ask her, I suppose. We spoke all the time... but then, what if she told me something I didn't want to hear? Not that I had any idea what I would want her to say if I did ask her...

I grinned and lay back on the couch, closing my eyes.

My phone started to ring and I answered it without looking. Regretting it instantly.

"Hello?"

"When are you gonna give me a chance?"

"For goodness sake..."

"Jakob, when are you going to listen to me?" Lacey cried. She sounded drunk.

"I did. I listened and I told you I wanted nothing to do with you and you agreed to leave it alone. But you didn't. Why can't you just leave it?!"

"Because I need you."

"No you don't. Stop being so pathetic. Grow up and go find a life. I'm sick and tired of you. If you contact me again, I'll call the police, this is stalking."