Chapter Fifty Nine

I stepped into the hallway when Perrie was dressed again, seeing Ellie knocking continuously on the bedroom door and my dad hovering behind her.

"What's going on?"

"I haven't got a clue, I was going out and I saw her running home and dad following her. Maddie, open the door."

"Dad, what happened?"

"I'm not entirely sure yet. Apparently your - mother had a fair bit to drink and... well, you know what they say about drunken words. She said some things to Maddie."

"What things?"

"I've not got that far yet. I was on my way to meet her and she ran past me."

"Babe," Perrie said behind me, touching my arm. "I'm gonna go, yeah?"

"What, now?"

"You've got your hands full here. Ring me later tonight, yeah?"

"Sorry." I whispered, aware of Ellie's eyes on me as dad took over trying to talk to Maddie.

"No need. Promise you'll call me?"

"I promise."

Perrie kissed me softly and I watched her descend the stairs, turning to give me a wave before leaving the house.

"I still can't believe you just casually kiss Perrie Edwards like that." Ellie said.

"Whatever. Dad, move." I sighed, taking his place. "Maddie, let me in."

"Leave me alone."

"No, let me in."

"I just want five minutes, Jake!"

"You can have it, just let me in first. I'm not going anywhere so you might as well."

There was no answer. I turned around to dad and Ellie. "Leave me with her, yeah?"

"Whatever, I'm supposed to be going out." Ellie sighed. "I knew seeing that cow was a bad idea. I'll see you tomorrow."

I convinced dad to wait downstairs and knocked softly on Maddie's door. "It's just me. Let me in now, come on."

Maddie unlocked the door straight away, curling up on her bed and picking at the cast on her arm. She couldn't seem to stop crying.

"You gonna tell me what happened?" I said, sitting beside her and crossing my legs.

"No, you're all just gonna be like 'I told you so'. Well you were right so nice one, just leave it at that."

"No I won't. I want to know why you're so upset. I'm not gonna say that anyway, that's not what I think-"

"Yes it is, and you were right and I feel like an idiot. I just want to forget about it and go to bed."

"Okay. Put it this way, I'm not moving until you tell me what happened. What did she do that's made you like this?"

Maddie wiped her eyes but it didn't make a difference. "We went to see a film then for a meal. She had a few drinks there, then more when we got back to her house. She... changed, she had way too much to drink and... I dunno, it was really embarrassing. She started making jokes about Jack and how bad he was in bed in front of him. I don't even know where it came from. I said I was going home and she started screaming at me... s-she said she never gave a fuck about me or any of us. She said after you rejected her - she only got in touch with me to piss you off. She said she was glad she left... wished she never had us, she only spent time with me because she knew it'd upset you and dad. Then she threw me out."