Chapter Sixty

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE: 
I just want to apologise for not uploading last week. My laptop had broken and I needed to wait for my new one to arrive before I was able to start writing again. So I'm really sorry and I hope you carry on enjoying this book. Thank you for your patience. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Cheers Jakers!"

"Cheers Lozza."

Lauren ans I were sat in her room with a bottle of wine, a huge meat lover's pizza between us and the radio on in the background, just having a chilled out evening together.

I was staying over that night and the next day, Saturday, Lauren was helping me move into Perrie's. Everything was all packed up at home and ready to go.

Emptying the room that I had lived in for my whole life had been one of the hardest things I had ever had to do. I had even felt quite emotional, close to tears; at least until Maddie came in and jokingly offered to help me speed things along so she could move into the room faster.

"So how d'you feel about flying the nest?"

"Scared."

"Really? I thought you were really up for it?"

"I am, definitely. It's just, huge isn't it?"

"Yeah... everything's gonna change now!"

"Not everything." I frowned. "I'm just living somewhere else that's all."

"Yeah, with your superstar girlfriend, who you're perfoming with as part of the world's biggest girl group's huge arena tour, therefore setting yourself up for the same level of fame and fortune. Not forgetting you're planning to go public once the tour's over. Jakers, you're about to get on one massive fucking rollercoaster babes."

I sipped my wine, picking a piece of chicken off the pizza. "Not that you want to put me off at all." I joked.

Lauren slapped her hand down on my leg. "Well it's a bit late for you to change your mind now! But things are gonna change, no point kidding yourself."

"Oi Miss King. Look at me."

"What?"

"Nothing changes between us."

"I-"

"Nothing." I said firmly.

"Come on Jakers, I'm just being real." Lauren smiled. "We're not gonna see each other as much, or speak as much once people realise how wicked you are with your beats and your career goes through the roof. I'm not having a go, I'm... I'm not drunk enough to get soppy but I'm really proud of you and I'm really glad you're happy with someone."

"I get you." I said. "But I'm being real as well when I say you're my best mate, you're my only mate and if you think I'm letting you go, you're more mental than you look. Me and you are gonna be sitting in our mobility scooters one day complaining about how the world turned out. I don't need to be drunk to get totes emosh, as you would say, I love you Lauren. You're my backbone. Whatever happens from now I bloody well couldn't do it without you, I'm counting on you to keep me sane. I know that's a big ask when you're mentally unstable but I need you, stuff your realistic bullshit. We're friends forever. I dunno about you but I meant that when I was eleven."

By the time I made it through my rambled, slightly slurred speech, Lauren was laying back on her bed, both laughing and crying. She managed to sit up, putting her wine down and taking mine off me. She shoved the half-eaten pizza onto the floor and threw her arms around me. 

"You're cracked in the head Jakers."

"I learned from the best."

"I love you as well."

"Glad to hear it. I mean it. What did you say to me once?"

"I dunno, I've said plenty of inspirational things to you..."

"Oh shut it... no, you said relationships come and go but this is for life. We pinky swore, you don't mess with that shit!" I laughed.

"True!" Lauren grinned. "Don't you worry, I know I can be a bit glass-half-empty but I'm not going anywhere. You'd have to kill me. And anyway, I reckon you and Pezza are for keeps. Seriously."

"I hope so." I said, grinning so wide I felt my face might split.

"You can tell, J. Honestly, I wish you could see the way she looks at you. She'd kill for you, she'd do anything to make you happy."

"How d'you know that?" I chuckled.

"Cos that's - nothing, I just know." Lauren said, gulping some more wine. She had gone very red.

"Go on, what are you gonna say?"

"Nothing."

"Lauren! Tell me."

"You'll laugh at me."

"I won't! I swear, what?"

"Yes you will, sod off!" Lauren squealed, trying to kick me away as I tickled her.

"Uh-oh! Is this to do with my brother?" I laughed.

"See, you're making fun of me already!"

"I'm not! Is it? Awh go on Lauren. I'm not laughing, seriously."

Lauren wriggled away from me and folded her atms. "I've not had enough wine for this." She huffed. "I just know, cos that's the way I feel about Alfie."

I sat up slowly. "Really? Already?"

"Yeah. I know. It's quick, but... I-"

"You love him." I said, starting to smile. Lauren wasn't looking at me, tapping her nails on her glass instead.

"Yeah. Sorry, I know it still makes you feel awkward."

"Do I look like I feel awkward?" I laughed. "Loz, if anything I'm glad someone feels that strongly about my brother... have you told him?"

Lauren nodded.

"Did he say it back?"

"He said it first." Lauren grinned. "D'you want some more wine?"

"Please. Oh my god! Check you two out!"

"Like I said I know it's really quick-"

"Not by my standards. Look how quick Perrie said she was in love with me." I pointed out.

"Aah, true that! Is she good in bed then?"

"Do you have no shame?!" I gasped.

"I'm just asking."

"How are you gonna look her in the eye tomorrow? I'm saying nothing."

"Awh come on. I'm not asking for a lot, just a yes or no."

"Well obviously it's a yes."

"What is she best at?"

"Sorry?"

"You know, is she better with her hands or-?"

"WOAH!" I yelled. "You can stop right there, put the film on and shut up."

"I'm only curious."

"Too curious." I laughed. "I'm saying nothing, you pervert."

"Spoilsport." Lauren cackled.

She put the film on and we reclined back on the bed, the pizza back on our laps, when Lauren's phone rang. I pressed pause as she reached for it, smirking.

"Hello? Hiya Pezza!"

I turned my head quickly. "Hey, what's my girlfriend doing ringing you?" I joked.

"She wants to speak to me." Lauren said, sticking her tongue out. "What's up Pezza? Yeah, definitely. Yeah, I know..."

I sat pretending to sulk, until Lauren laughed loudly and said, "yeah I suppose you can borrow him for five minutes, I'm timing you! Yeah, see you tomorrow."

Lauren handed me the phone, watching me and grinning.

"Hey you."

"Hey you." Perrie said. God, I loved the sound of her voice. "I just wanted to say; Happy Moving In Eve!"

"Awh that's so cute." I chuckled. "Same to you. Not changed your mind have you?"

"Never in a million years babe. I'm so excited, I don't think I'll sleep tonight."

"How have you been sleeping?" I asked. Since the almost break-in, Perrie had had to force me to go home, but I had rang her literally four times a day to make sure she was alright. She had confessed that she had hardly slept a wink since that night.

"Actually that's another reason I rang. I got a phone call from the police earlier."

"Oh my god, what?!"

"No, it's a good news." She said. "They've got two people and they're pretty sure it's the ones who tried it on at my place. They're also pretty sure they didn't mean to be there, they had the wrong house."

"How do they know that?"

"I dunno, they didn't tell me much. But apparently they've got evidence that suggest they planned a break in at a house they knew was going to be empty that weekend. Obviously Geography's not their strong point cos I was definitely at home."

"None of that matters much to me, I just thank god they didn't get in." I sighed. "And they better have the right two."

"Sounds like it. Just thought you should know, and I think I'll sleep much better from now on knowing that."

"Good. So will I."

"That was it really babe... you having a good night?"

"Yeah, just putting the world to rights with my best friend." I said, grinning at Lauren.

"Your minutes are up Pezza!" She shouted. Perrie laughed.

"She's right, I'll leave you to it."

"Aawwh." I moaned.

"You can have me all to yourself tomorrow night." She said quietly. "I can think of a few ways we can celebrate in style."

"Oh? Care to share?"

"I will. Tomorrow. Night babe... I love you."

"I love you too." I said, chuckling as Lauren made loud wretching noises next to me.

"She must think you're completely insane." I laughed as I hung up.

"Good, that means she pays attention. Right, come on I'm dying to see this guy get his kit off." I rolled my eyes as I pressed play again.

**

I stood awkwardly in the living room with my family. Perrie had been and gone with her car full to busting with boxes of my belongings, and Lauren was outside with Alfie trying to wrestle the boot of her car closed, since it contained the rest of it.

"Well, I suppose I should... go."

Ellie was the first to approach me and hug me tightly. "It's gonna be extremely weird around here without you."

"I'm sure you'll get used to it."

"You kidding? I'm gonna love it." She winked. "Seriously... I'll miss you."

"Miss you too."

I glanced at Maddie as Ellie moved away and she smiled shyly. I knew she was more upset than she was letting on. "Thanks for your room." She said.

"Thanks for helping me pack, couldn't have seemed more eager if you tried." I grinned.

"I'll send you pictures once I'm moved in, it won't look as much like a junkyard either."

"Very funny... come here."

Once me and Maddie broke apart, Ellie grabbed her hand. "Let's go and see if they need any help at the car." She said, practically dragging her from the room. My dad hadn't said much all afternoon, and he remained silent when Ellie closed the door, leaving us alone together.

"Cheer up dad, you look like Bradford City just lost a crucial game." I joked.

He laughed, then quite suddenly strode towards me and hugged me so tight he lifted me up. "You can always come back here, Jakob. This will always be your home."

"Don't let Maddie hear you say that, she's only just got her own room." I laughed, squeezing my eyes shut so I wouldn't cry. "I know, though. Please don't be upset dad, I'll still be here all the time... even more when I get driving, I've got my first lesson on Tuesday."

He put me down, ruffling my hair up like he used to when I was small. "I'd tell you to look after yourself... but you've been doing that for a long time haven't you son? I'm sorry things weren't easier for you... growing up."

"I wouldn't have it any other way." I insisted. "You've made me who I am."

I watched his eyes fill up as he cleared his throat loudly. "I'll miss you."

"Not half as much as I'll miss you."

"I'm proud of you kiddo... and when you're rich and famous, mind you put your old dad in a nice nursing home, okay?"

"Shut up." I chuckled. "Come on, come outside... I better get going."

We couldn't help laughing as we left the house, observed all of my siblings and Lauren arguing over why the boot wouldn't close.

"It's this one!" Lauren yelled, throwinga box out and slamming it into Alfie's chest. "Watch... ta-da!" She yelled in triumph as the boot closed. "I told you."

"Great babe but where does this one go?" Alfie said rolling his eyes.

"Give it here." I said. "I'll have it on my knee. Lauren, you ready?"

"Yup, let's go!"

I gave Alfie a quick one armed hug goodbye and hurried into Lauren's car, needing to leave before I cried.

Lauren didn't speak for a good few minutes after we left, which I was glad of. She just put some music on, and hummed along to it, tapping her nails on the sterring wheel in time to the beat when we got stuck in traffic.

"Doing alright over there?"

"I'm fine."

"Yeah, you look it."

"That was hard." I sighed. "I feel bad, should I feel bad?"

"Course not. It'll pass, it's only cos you're all so close. It's not like you're emigrating. You're not having second thoughts are you?"

"No, it's not that, not one bit. I just didn't think I'd miss them this much, I miss them already, they drive me bloody crazy when I'm there, I didn't expect to miss them at all, not this fast, am I rambling?"

"Yeah, shut it." Lauren laughed. "I'm sure you'll feel better once you see Pezza... and I'll unload and leave you to it as quick as I can, I promise."

"Don't be daft, you're staying for something to eat with us, you've helped."

"No, I don't want to-"

"You're not." I interupted. "It was Perrie's idea anyway, we're gonna unload everything, then order in and watch a film or something. We're gonna unpack everything tomorrow, so your'e staying, let us thank you."

"Are you sure?"

"Put it this way, we're not letting you go home until we've fed you."

"Awh thanks Jakers... bit threatening like, but thanks. She's alright, your bird."

"She's not my bird." I laughed. "That sounds so... bad."

"No it doesn't!"

"Would you like it if Alfie called you his bird?"

"...No."

"There you go then."

"Alright you win... you better text Pezza actually, this traffic's rammed. We might be here a while."

"Good." I said. "You can help me with something."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, I want to take Perrie to this new place near the university..."

**

I stood waving Lauren off from Perrie's front door- my front door... and Perrie came up behind me, sliding her arms around my waist and dropping her chin onto my shoulder.

"You okay?"

"Yeah, thanks for asking her round. I think you made her feel better. She didn't think we'll see each other anymore."

"You will, you've been friends for a long time babe. A different address isn't gonna change anything."

"Well, thanks."

"No problem... roomie."
I turned arouund, matching her smile. "Roomie. I like that."

Perrie pulled me inside, slamming the door and kissing me. "Are you alright?"

"I'm great."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, why?"
"Cos I know it must've been hard before... your dad had a word with me earlier."

"You're joking right..."

"It was really sweet babe. He just told me to look after you."

"He's a loser, bless him... I can look after myself, he even said that to me today."

We fell onto the sofa, Perrie smirking as she pushed me back, laying on top of me, just staring at me. "I can't believe you live here."

"Neither can I. In a good way."

"Are you... like, I'll understand if you wanna go home you know, if you-"

I silenced her with a kiss, tightening my arms around her. "I am home." I whispered, running my thumb over her freckled cheeks as she smiled brightly. "But it's gonna take some getting used to... living with someone who's so beautiful and loving and sexy and incredible..."

Perrie gently placed her fingers over my lips. "Someone who will love you the way you've always deserved to be loved."

"Pez..."

"I mean it. I... I love you with all my heart, I never thought I'd feel like this about anyone, I love you so much it makes me dizzy. And I will look after you cos I don't want you to go anywhere ever."

"You don't have to worry about that." I said firmly. "I'm absolutely not going anywhere. I've only just got here!"

Perrie giggled softly, resting her head on my chest. "D'you wanna start unpacking? It's still pretty early, we could get quite a bit done..."

"Yeah alright... but first I need to make sure you're free for me tomorrow?"

"Course I am, it's Sunday. Why?"

"I'm taking you out."

"Oh? Where?"

"I'm not telling, but I was talking to Lauren, the place opens at eleven so I think we should go about twelve before it gets really busy... don't want you getting mobbed."

"Awh go on, a clue?"

"You know it's pointless asking me." I laughed. "I'm not telling."

"Fine, then you don't get your surprise." Perrie grinned.

"What?" I said, then I remembered what she had said on the phone to me the previous night. "What surprise?"

"Your moving in present."

"Awh come on." I pouted. "You can't not give me my moving in present just because you're having a tantrum."

"I am not having a tantrum!" Perrie huffed, sitting up and folding her arms, scowling.

"So, what're you doing?" I teased. Perrie started to smile. I stroked my hand up her thigh, and her smile grew.

"Stop it, you."

"Make me."

"Please tell me where we're going?"

"No, you'll have to wait and see, but it'll be fun, I promise. Okay, I'll give you one clue?"

"Yay! What?"

"I'm gonna kick your arse."

"That's not a clue! At what?!"

"You'll have to have a think about it... now what about this surprise?"

Perrie bit her lip and stood up, holding her hands out. I took them and she began backing out of the room, pulling me along. "I need you to do something."

"What?"

"I need you to wait. Down here. For about... ten minutes. Can you do that?"

"No." I grinned.

Perrie turned around, pushing me against the wall by the stairs and pressing herself against me. She kissed my lips, so soft I could have imagined it. I closed my eyes as she kissed across my jaw and whispered in my ear. "I'll make it worth your while."

I groaned quietly as she nipped the skin over my pulse with her teeth.

"Okay."

Perrie stepped back and started to untie the bow on the wasitband of her joggers as she turned her back on me.

"Why don't you find us a nice bottle of wine babe?"