Chapter Forty Nine

"What do you want?"

"Jakob! Look please hear me out, I want to apologise."

"... Really?"

"Yes, I just want to apologise, I don't know what-"

"If you're really that sorry, you can start by telling my girlfriend the truth, you stupid prick." I snarled. "Have you seen the articles today?"

"What? Why?"

"There's a story about us. She thinks I've cheated on her."

Eddie didn't speak for almost a minute. "Oh my god." He croaked. "... Jakob, I never meant-"

"I don't care what you meant now. I care that my girlfriend is in bits because of you."

"What do you want me to do?" He said desperately. "I never meant this to happen, I'm so sorry. What can I do to put it right?"

"Tell her what you did." I snapped. "I'm not getting through to her. You have to tell her."

"I will. I'm so sorry. I'll tell her. When can-"

"You can speak to her right now."

"Seriously? Over the phone?"

"Have you got a better idea?!" I shouted. "I want this sorted. I swear to god if I lose her because of you..." I took a deep breath as I stormed into the kitchen, making Perrie jump. I held out the phone to her.

"It's him."

"Eh?"

"It's Eddie."

"You what?!"

"He called to apologise. If you won't listen to me, maybe you'll listen to him."

"It's not-"

"Talk to him!" I pleaded. "I don't know what else to do here, please."

Looking astounded, Perrie slowly raised her hand for the phone. I quickly pressed it to my ear and snapped. "Tell her." Then handed it over.

"Hello." Perrie muttered.

She didn't speak again for several minutes. I could hear Eddie's voice but couldn't make out anything he was saying. I waited, holding my breath, wondering if I should even have answered the phone to him. I could have made things a hundred times worse, but I was out of my mind now; I had no idea what else to do.

Perrie straightened up, having been leaning on the table, and sighed. "Right then, Eddie is it?"

What was she doing?

"Okay. Look, I dunno if you make a habit of pouncing on guys but think yourself lucky, I'm not calling the police. Don't ever contact my boyfriend again or I'll make your life hell. Goodbye."

Perrie slammed my phone down and sighed heavily. I waited, processing her words, and watching her.

"What does... does that mean you believe me?"

Perrie raised her head. "Do you want to go to the police?"

"No, that's the least of my worries Perrie. I need to know what you're thinking." I went to stand beside her. I expected her to move away from me, but she didn't. Afraid of her reaction, I took her hand. She let me, just watching me. "Tell me what you're thinking."

"You don't... you have no idea how I felt when I saw that paper Jake-"

"So tell me. I want to know what you're thinking, babe I need to know what's going on in your head and if I stand a chance here. Tell me what to do to make things right. Please."