Chapter Nineteen

She looked exactly the same, only of course, sixteen years older. Exactly the same woman I had watched walk out on my family all those years ago.

Mike waved his hand in front of my face, making me jump. "You alright?"

"Y-y-yeah. Fine. It's okay, I'll deal with her."

For a few moments, I was five years old again. A five year old boy looking down from my bedroom window as my mother walked way.

I had spent all my earlier years imagining seeing her again. As I got older, I started to fantasise about meeting her one day as a grown man. I had imagined she would gasp at the sight of me; she would cry tears of happiness, hold me. Tell me she was sorry and she loved me.

The woman in front of me now raised her hand as I approached and smiled. Automatically I said. "Hello, can I help you?"

"Hi love. Yes, I'm a bit out of my depth here. I'm' just after a really good stereo. Money no object but I'm not very good at this."

I returned her smile quickly, hoping she hadn't noticed I was staring, but she didn't seem to. She didn't have a clue who I was. There was no recognition there whatsoever. I took a deep, silent calming breath, trying my best to appear casual.

"I see. Present for someone?"

"Yes, for my son's birthday."

I hid my shock under the pretence of scanning the products for suitability. She didn't know who I was, showed no signs she recognised me in the slightest...

And she had a son. Another child.

"That's nice, how old is he?"

"He'll be thirteen next Friday."

Thirteen. He wasn't all that younger than Maddie then. Only three years after leaving us all, she had started another family.

"Thirteen, they say that's when they grow an attitude overnight."

She laughed. "Yes, I know all about that!"

"You have other children then?" I said before I could stop myself but she laughed again.

"No no, just the one. I know from watching my friend with theirs, that's all."

I nodded politely, but inside was a different story. She had just completely denied us all.

"Right, let's see... does he have an iPhone?"

"He does. My husband talked me into getting him one last Christmas. It's been difficult getting a conversation out of him ever since."

Again, I smiled on autopilot.

She said husband. My mum and dad had never been married... "Okay. This one's an excellent make... it's an iPhone docking station, a radio and a CD player, all in one, it's got a load of other features on it as well..."

Ten minutes later, I was at the till, staring at my mother while she rummaged in her oversized handbag for her purse. Numbly, I reminded myself I was still at work, still with a customer.

"Oh, erm I never thought... we offer free delivery on weekdays."

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, it can be with you within three to five working days and you can choose a time slot that's best for you."

"That would be much better; I could get it delivered while he's at school." She smiled. "That would be lovely. Thank you."

I quickly smiled back. "I'll just need your address then..."