Chapter 14: Sophie

I walked back to the dining hall, embarrassed, sure, but I'm the princess so I have to act as if it didn't bother me. I walked back in and my parents gave me hugs, and saw my dad occasionally glaring at Fitz. I stood in front of my chair and made an announcement. 

"I will be continuing interviews, I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Next up will be Keefe Sencen."

The blonde boy with the ice blue eyes walked up to me. He sat down and studied me, as if he was the one interviewing ME. I stared at him and he smirked. "You checking me out Princess?" I flushed, and said. "Please. Call me Sophie. Titles make me feel like I'm the title."

Did that make sense? I mean it as it makes her feel like people see her just as a Princess, and not her, the person.

He nodded, and I decided to get this interview going. "So, what should I call you?" I asked uncomfortably. "Keefe. Mr. Sencen refers to my dad, and I don't want that connection." A beat of silence. "I just made it awkward didn't I?" I shook my head. "No. I know just what it's like to have family problems." He frowned. "How? You have the perfect life! You're a princess, you're parents are the King and Queen! How could your life get anymore perfect?" I sighed. If I told him why, my secret would be exposed. But for some reason I trusted Keefe. And I'd just met him. "Don't repeat this to anyone. Only my parent's, their most trusted advisor, my best friend, and my cousin know this." He snorted. "Oh is that all?" I sighed. "I'm serious. Barely anyone knows." He nodded, giving up on being a Smart Alec. "I'm adopted." I said quickly. He stared at me, like, Come again? "The King and Queen found me on their balcony somehow, which was strange since their room is in the second floor, but they decided to take me in, and pass it off as a fake pregnancy, since my mom had been very busy with deals with other Kingdoms for the past year, and hadn't been seen much. The only people who didn't buy it were my parent's advisor. But thankfully their advisor is a man named Alden Vacker. They'd known each other since their childhood and he is like a second father to me. That's why I understand. My parents didn't even want me." He was speechless, and we just stared at each other until I looked at the clock and whispered, "Time," and he walked away in a daze. I went on to interview many different guys, but after I was done, and I was walking back to my room, I realized that I just wanted to talk to Keefe again. I trusted him for some reason, and he was a good person to talk to. I sat down at my desk and pulled out a piece of paper.

Keefe, 

                How would you feel about being the first date of the selection? Meet me at the stables at midnight. I have a plan - don't worry.

Sophie