Chapter 52: Keefe

We walked to the infirmary in silence. Guilt laid heavily on me through my confusion. I attempted to open my mouth to apologize but the words got lodged in my throat and my mind got stuck on my memories. I just couldn't stop thinking about that girl. There was just this feeling stuck in my chest that she means, or meant, something to me. I can't help but wonder if this beautiful mystery girl plagued my thoughts as much when I remembered her as now, where I don't.

Wait.

How did I forget her? I don't remember even her name but I know in my heart that she's not someone easily forgettable. 

Trying to remember someone when there's a nagging feeling that they meant everything to you, I think now, is the worst thing in the world. 

This selective amnesia held me in a chokehold, and my breaths of air came from the brief memories of her. 

A horse ride with the sunrise—a first date maybe?

Kissing her fingers, a contently anxious feeling setting in.

Competition, nerves, smiles, tears, gunshots, screaming, falling in love, black clothed occasions, gorgeous brown eyes, the most captivating person I've ever met. All the memories swirled like a hurricane combined with a whirlpool and I couldn't get a hold of it, they spun, and spun, and spun, and spun, until a name rushed to the tip of my tongue, quieting the storm.

"So-"

An ear-splitting alarm sent it all scattering. 

I bit back a curse, as I fought the urge to slam my fist into the unfortunately not soft, steel enforced earthen walls. 

I tried to pull back the memories, but once again, the gap in my memory remained a mystery. 

"Keefe!" A voice snapped at me. 

Oh. Right. The alarm. 

Nevaeh looked like she wanted to slam her fist into my face, because we'd definitely been standing here like idiots for a solid 2 minutes since the alarm went off. We needed to run for the armory. 

There'd been a security breach.

Wow. Ik this is probably a pretty short chapter, but it's one I'm actually proud of. No excuses! but part of the reason I've found it so hard to write these chapters is that I haven't been friends with my writing recently, but hopefully this will help me finish this story, (even though the thought of being down makes me sad). Thank you all for your kind words about my writing, and thank you for staying with the story long enough to get here. 

(Also-music developments! Speak Now TV? obsessed frfr, my fav vault songs are castles crumbling, I can see you, and foolish one, and Olivia rodrigos new single is pretty good to)