Chapter 51: Sophie

It's been two days. Honestly my dad's probably more angry at me and everyone else so he can leave the worrying to my mom. I left them a note, just so they wouldn't think I'd been kidnapped or something. But dear god being out in nature is hard. It's just me, Dex, and Biana—who I tried to convince to stay home with her hairdryer and shoes, but she told me she could braid her hair and wear the same shoes as me just fine and that she was either coming with us or behind us. 

I told them we were going to rescue Keefe.

I didn't lie. With or without my best friends I was going to get back the boy I loved. 

The selection was never for me. But I'm grateful it introduced me to Keefe. 

I don't know where I'd be without him. Well, actually I do. I'd be living in a cushy, toxic relationship with Fitz. 

And now I know what I want, and he's missing. And no one even cares.

So we're going to keep going until we find that stupid island.

A shriek pulled me out of my headspace. I whipped around and saw Biana swatting at a fly. A laugh bubbled up my throat as Dex doubled over laugh from Biana's death glare. I did the same thing though the first time I ever saw her in pants two days ago. 

I wiped some sweat off my brow as the hill got steeper. I've never felt so gross and sweaty. I wanted to take horses but the island is...well...and island. We'd have to leave them with no food or anything. 

So here we are. On foot. Walking to an island. Whoop de do. I listen to Biana and Dex bicker while we get up the hill, and what I see on the other side...is gorgeous. 

The world here is incredible. The water, the wind, the trees, the sky. The island itself is like a mountain, and that's incredible to. We all stopped in our tracks. 

"Wow..." I heard Biana breathe. 

I turned slightly and saw the stars in there eyes.

"Ok guys. Let's spend the night here. We'll swim across in the morning before the sun comes up.

Agreement echoed as we all sat down and took in the scenery, but all I could see now was red staining the water from the last memory I had of Keefe Sencen.