Chapter 19: Sophie

We're having the burial today. I feel so terrible. I'd barely known Jim, and now he was dead. His parents, Marina and  Aaron Scott were coming to the palace for the burial. How was I supposed to face them, knowing it was my fault their son is dead? His sister was coming to. Coral Scott. I am currently standing out in the courtyard, waiting to greet the Scott's, while being flanked by nearly 20 guards. The Scott's walked out of the limo, faces red, eyes puffy, heads down. They walked forward, and a few tears slipped down my cheeks. Guilt. It had always been my greatest weakness. The guilt of anything could tear me apart. I had to accept it, and comes to terms with my wrong. But I cannot do this now. I curtsied to them, saw the look of broken hearts on the face and fled. I ran through corridors, and found myself in a corridor with blue and white walls. I collapsed on white bench positioned against the wall and cried. After a while, I heard footsteps, and tried to pull myself together. I was sure my mascara was running down my face, and my makeup was 100% messed up. No doubt about that. When I lifted my head up, I saw Keefe. He looked shocked, to see me, or me crying, I don't know. He sat down next to me, and hesitated. Then he put an arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer to him. I leaned into him, glad for someone to anchor me to reality. After a while, he asked me, 

"What's wrong Foster?"

I laughed slightly at the nickname. 

"Guilt. It's always been what I've considered my 'weakness'. It's all my fault Jim is dead. If I'd never picked him." I cried into his shoulder, and heard a gasp and enraged strangled sound. I looked up, Fitz. Great. 

"SOPHIE? What-What are you doing with this dude? And why won't you even talk to me? We dated for like, 2 years! I'm so much better than everyone here, I don't even know why you're having a selection! These wannabes shouldn't be here! Why won't you marry me! Think about it! We'd be the ultimate power couple! Plus, why do you get to decide? This is a man's job. This idiot probably doesn't know the first thing about you! And-"

I just snapped. I stood up. 

"OK FITZROY. (haha Fitzroy - what a stupid name) Listen CLOSELY. Insult me, or any of the other selected ever again, you will not only be permanently removed from the palace, but you will know what it feels like to not have such a pretty face." I raised my fist. "Say hello. You and my fist might be very close soon."

"Your. Highness. Perfect name for you your royal stupidness. You're wasting your time. I mean, c'mon. I'm right here. And I'm perfect." 

I scoffed and balled my fists. "You. Are. Pushing. Too. Far."

"Oh really? And why is that? I've never done anything to YOU. You broke my heart for no reason. And you're always so sarcastic, how am I supposed to know how far to push you?"

"Well sorry Honey. Sarcasm falls out of my mouth like stupid falls out of yours."

"Ye-Yeah? Well, you're stupid too! Wait."

I laughed. "Well, you better remember your family loves you, cause I sure as heck don't. Now you can take you and your attitude to become a perfect member of the selection or you can leave. You're still here because you have a high social status and I have to. Otherwise, you would've been kicked out day one, with or without the rules."

His face contorted with rage. "You just love to create problems don't you." 

I nearly punched him, but I'm a princess. The respectful thing to do would be to wait for him to hit me first. And I was right. Nothing to serious, he slapped me squarely on my cheek. I cannot with this idiot. I punched him. Square in the nose. Then I kneed him where it would hurt him most. I dusted my hands off, and stood up straight. But that spawn of freaking satan kicked my leg. And ripped my dress. I fell down and hit my face to the floor, but got up quickly and watched as he groaned and held his hopefully broken nose. I turned around to Keefe, and saw the shocked look on his face. 

"Don't mess with me," I said sweetly to him, and walked away. 

I headed for the men's room, figuring my mom would be there, learning all she could on the men who were competing to be my husband. I then realized, on the way there, that I had a handprint mark on my cheek, my dress was ripped, I was limping slightly, and my lip was bleeding. I shrugged it off and knocked on the men's room door. I opened it and searched the room for my mom, ignoring the shocked looks from the selected. 

"Um, mom?" I asked when my eyes found hers. "Can I borrow you for a minute?"

My mom nearly threw her book across the room as she rushed me out.

"What happened to you?" She hissed as we walked away. 

I looked down and mumbled, "I might've gotten into a fight. But don't worry. I didn't throw the first punches. I threw the second punch." I finished with a small smirk. She looked away, but I still saw her grin. We went to my room, and right before I closed my door, I said, 

"He'll be gone by noon tomorrow."

Sup Guys! Did you like that chapter? Let me tell you - that's my favorite chapter in this whole entire book. I'm tired of Fitz. Comment if you liked it. If you didn't-tell me why, move on, and forget about it or something. Idk. So yeah. Say goodbye to Fitzroy Jerk Vacker. 👏🏻👌🏻✌🏻👋🏻

So I edited this a bit bc WHAT WAS THIS CHAPTER OH MY GOD. 🤦🏼‍♀️ So yeah that's gone and I like this better.

-LoveBooks151515