Chapter 24: Sophie

When the gunshots finally stopped, we just sat on the floor of safe room, trembling as we held each other. I eventually slowly pulled away from Biana and slowly wiped the tears off her cheek. 

"Shhhh. It's ok Biana. It's over."

She nodded and smiled weakly at me. She rested her head on my shoulder, and took a deep rattling breath then stood up unsteadily. I got up right beside her and walked over to the door silently. I rattled the lock, but it wouldn't open. Then I remembered we kept a set of keys in a secret compartment by the door. I unlocked the door and Biana grasped my hand tightly as we walked towards the great hall. We heard another gunshot, and screamed. I hugged a trembling Biana. 

We waited nearly an hour, out in a back corridor near the library, before getting back up. I tightened my hold on her hand and we finally reached the great hall. I peeked around the door and saw both of my parents unscathed. I let out a sob, but still didn't want to let go of Biana's hand. It didn't seem like she wanted to either. We ran to my parents, Biana with me, because my parent may as well be her's to. My mom and dad threw their arms around me and Biana, crying. But me and Biana still didn't let go of each other. I scanned the room, looking for a head count of the selected, and everyone was there. Except one person. 

Keefe.