Chapter 34: Grady

Disclaimer-none of the following lyrics and/or songs are mine, all rights go to original owners. 

(Edit: ahh I know these kinds of chapters are weird but they're so fun!)

Ocean waves crashed onto the shore in the distance. A salty ocean breeze floated through the air. I stared out, not necessarily focusing on anything. Turning, I saw Edaline standing in the doorway, dark circles under her reddened eyes, and a small and sad smile on her lips. She walked up to me and buried her face in my chest as I hugged her. We stood there like that for a while, before I pulled away, telling her to rest. She just nodded and curled up in bed as I walked down the hallway. As I reached Sophie's door, I simply stared at it, unable to make myself open it. I noticed the hallway darken slightly and shook my head as I slowly twisted the door handle. I took in the room, breathing in the slight scent of jasmine. Just like Sophie. Everything in her room was in immaculate condition. Her bed was made, her flower petal rug perfectly positioned, makeup organized, hair products carefully arranged. The only thing in the room that screamed 'Sophie' and showed any signs that someone lived in the room was her desk. Drawers overflowing with articles, reports, and brown notebooks full of notes from all the times she observed me in meetings, and other things I'd had to do as King. As my fingers brushed over her notes and papers, I noticed a glint of silver in one of the drawers. As I slowly pulled at it, I realized that it was another notebook. But silver. As I flipped through the pages, I noticed that they were songs. I never knew she liked to sing. I glanced at a few of the song lyrics and they were really good. 

One song was called "The Rose Song" Anyone recognize it?

'Cause I feel trapped on this pedestal you put me on,

You tell me that I'm beautiful but I think that's an understatement,

'Cause I am more than what I am to you,

You say I'm perfect but I've got thorns with my petals, too.

And I won't be confined to your point of view,

I'm breaking through the glass you put me in-

I turned the page seeing the next one called, "Different World" I love this song btw, it's awesome.

We've been chasing our demons down an empty road, 

Been watching our castle turn into dust,

Escaping our shadows just to end up here once more.

And we both know, 

This is not the world we had in mind,

But we got time.

We are stuck on answers we can't find,

But we got time-

The next song was called, "Let you go" Again, recognize it? (Hint: it's from the same thing as The Rose Song)

I love you so much that I've gotta let you go, 

It couldn't last forever, 

And I hope you find better.

I can't forget us, 

I can't pretend we ain't broken, 

It was good together,

Now I've gotta let you go.

I'm picking up pieces left and right, 

Now that our hearts are both untied.

It'll take time, it'll take time-

Again, I turned the page, not able to tear my eyes away. I saw the next song, "Like my Father" and felt my tears in the corner of my eyes. (*Cough cough* love this song to)

I guess I learned it from my parents, 

That true love starts with friendship. 

A kiss in the forehead, 

A date night, 

Fake an apology after a fight.

I need a man,

Who's patient and kind-

I couldn't keep reading those lyrics. I'd cried enough. The next song, and last song I'd see, I told myself, was called, "Girl In the Mirror" and it made my heart break even more. (So I just discovered this song, after like four years of it being out but whatever)

I'm tired of my thoughts, 

They weigh me down,

Feels like I'm drowning.

I'm tired of my flaws,

They fill me with anxiety.

Honestly, I'm done with hating pictures of myself,

And tryna be like everybody else.

I wanna be like, 

Look like, 

The girl in the mirror-

I shut the book, wishing I'd never looked in the first place. I basically just read closest thing my daughter had to a diary. I left the room, knowing my daughter just a little better, and with a little more hope for my daughter. 

Haha I'm just gonna be honest, that was so much fun to write, just bc I had to find songs that would fit her and then I came up with who it was for and whatever. I'm sorry if that wasn't good, it was kinda a chapter for me lol. And remember for these songs, I picked the lyrics that are in this chapter specifically because i thought they fit more than the rest of the song.

So anyway, song 1, "The Rose Song," is from High School Musical - The Musical: The series (or HSMTMTS) and is sung by Olivia Rodrigo. I figured it could be from Sophie to the whole Kingdom, or maybe some of it to Grady? Idk...what do you guys think?

Song 2 is "Different World," is by Alan Walker and is a ft. with Sofia Carson. I thought maybe this one could be just a general song, not to anyone specific. 

Song 3 is "Let you go," which is also in HSMTMTS. I thought maybe it could be back from when her and Fitz broke up? Because maybe she was trying to convince herself it was time to move on. 

Song 4 is "Like my Father," by Jax. (Sorry I know that's not all that informative) I figured this could be to Grady and Edaline.

And lastly, Song 5 is "Girl in the Mirror," by Bebe Rexha. I figured this could be a song for Sophie. Like maybe her expressing her insecurities and what she thinks are her flaws. (Everyone is beautiful in their own special way, and most be who say they have no insecurities are lying)

So yeah that's it. Thx for sitting though this long song thing of mine, and if you skipped it, I completely understand, I do that sometimes to. Thank you so much for reading, love you alllll!