Chapter 38: Sophie

I gotta say I love how I come up with the meanest plot twists. ;) Sorry...but I'm not really all that sorry. Also, I wrote this on my phone, on the bus, so sorry if there are some errors. Also-I loved writing this chapter, bc it was everything I could do to not burst out laughing.

I collapsed in the cool ocean water, but what once would've been comforting, is now stained red. With blood. Keefe's blood. But what Keefe had said...he loved me? I mean I knew that, but I never really thought...

But this feeling in my chest now. I felt...I felt like I was dying. Like someone took my heart and ripped it in half. Like...well, I felt numb. I couldn't bring myself to care about anything. I could be broken for a little longer, but when I got back...I'd have to try. I didn't feel like explaining this to anyone. At least not for now. This numb feeling, it will consume me, eventually. But not yet.

I slowly rose to my feet and started looking up and down the beach for a way off it. I looked back at the cave where Keefe's mother had taken him. But I knew in my heart that if I went after him, I wouldn't come out, and neither would he. 

I took a deep breath as I waded into the red water. I gagged at the iron smell of it, but kept going. I started to swim, and every now and then, a fish grazed my foot, or a strand of seaweed drifted into me, and I jerked my feet up, shrieking. Every time that happened, I thought of what would've happened if Keefe had been here. He would've smirked and pulled me closer to me, and tilted my chin up...

Oh my god, what am I thinking? I'm with Fitz! I mean sureeee I can obsess over hot boys that aren't real, but...Keefe? Fitz would be so mad. But while we're on the topic of hot fictional boys, let's talk Vane Weston. Or Four, ooh or maybe Maxon Schreave? You know what, that shouldn't even be a question, of course they're super cute!

I shook my head and quickly dunked it under the water. 

What.

Was.

Happening.

I'm not a giggling girl who obsesses over a bunch of guys like that! Ugh. I was starting to sound like Biana for a minute. 

I looked around, and to my right, I saw it. Well, two things. One being land, and the second being the royal guard! I shouted out, but right as I lifted my arm to wave to them, something wrapped around my foot, tugging me down. I kept screaming, until I was under the surface, and I panicked and tried to breath. Rookie mistake, because the world faded away to darkness.