41

It's been a week since the whole thing with Ryan. I haven't heard from him since. Did I care? Yeah. I didn't know what he was going to do and I was goddamn scared if he was going to make a move.

We found his brother's body a few days later. Everybody breathed out in relief but I knew this was far from over. I stopped hanging out with my friends. They were pissed and kept coming over. I either left and didn't return home or I stayed in my room, ignoring them. I knew I was a bad friend but I had to. I didn't want Vanessa losing her baby. I couldn't risk that.

"Did you hear what I said, Addison?" John asks, making me look at him.

"Hmm?" I ask, confused. He eyes me.

"You've been off the past week. Why?"

"Have no clue what you're talking about." He narrowed his eyes.

"Addison, you've been off ever since you raced so what the hell happened?" My face was blank.

"Nothing happened, John. Drop it." My voice was venomous. He huffed. "What did you get out of Adriana?"

"Nothing." I rolled my eyes.

"Great."

"Besides one thing."

"Go ahead."

"I already told Maxim and he said you're not doing it."

"Spit it out, John."

"She wants to fight. If you win, she'll give you the password. If you lose, you'll let her go."

"You're not doing it, Addison." Dante says, coming into the room. Maxim and Darius also came in.

"Whatever. Didn't want to anyway." Everybody looked at me in shock.

"This is what I was talking about, Addison. You've been off since that night so what the hell happened?"

"Nothing happened. I'm the same old person." I say, shrugging. I leaned back in my seat, closing my eyes. My ribs were hurting but I didn't care.

"Addison-"

"I'm fine, alright? Nothing fucking happened." I grit out, opening my eyes. "Just stop pestering me."

"We're trying to find out what happened-"

"Nothing happened. I have a race tonight. I'll be home later." I mumble, grabbing my keys.

--

I got out of my car and leaned against the hood. A cigarette hung between my lips. My manager came over to me and I raised an eyebrow. I saw his bruised eye and split lip. His nose looked broken but I didn't comment on it.

"I'm sorry, Addison." He mumbles. I take my cigarette out, blowing out the smoke.

"He taught you a listen, didn't he?" I ask, frowning. He doesn't say anything. "I'm sorry, Luke. You didn't deserve it."

"I'll give you all the earnings tonight, okay?" I sigh.

"Take half of it home. Give it to the kids. Spoil the shit out of them because the next moment, they'll be grown and you will never get the moments you want back with them."

"You say it from experience."

"I say it from dead kids." I mumble, making him tense up. His eyes soften.

"Oh Addison, I'm sorry."

"It's fine. Wasn't your fault." It became quiet between us. "When am I up?"

"Not this coming race but next race." I nod.

"Like I said Luke, take half the winnings home to the kids. Spoil them." He smiles sadly at me but I didn't comment on it. He nods at me and leaves. I put my cigarette in my mouth and inhaled the toxins. I closed my eyes and slowly blew out the smoke.