Chapter Sixty Two: Matter More

“Wha-What?” Zayn studdered nervously. You and Niall both signed and moved closer towards him. “Zayn…” Niall said slowly. Zayn gave Niall all of his undivided attention. “Perrie treats _____ quite terribly.” he said slowly and as nicely as he possibly could. Zayn’s eyes got even wider. His jaw dropped slightly, not believing what Niall had just told him. “What? What do you mean?!” he asked all nervous like. You took a breath. Niall looked at you. Zayn did the same. “Zayn, Perrie hates me.” you told him. He shook his head “No.” in denial. “No, no.” he said. “She loves you. She talks good about you all the time!” Zayn tried defending himself and his girlfriend. You and Niall both shook your heads just as he did a few moments ago. “No Zayn.” Niall said. “None of that is true.” you added. Zayn was speechless. He just looked at the pair of you, not knowing what to say. You sighed again and continued on. “It’s all fake. An act. You don’t know how she treats me when you’re not around.” you said. Zayn looked you deeply in the eyes. He kept on shaking his head in denial. “I don’t understand.” he finally said. You knew this was hard for this subject to sink into Zayn’s head. “Zayn.” you said taking him by the hands and looking him in his big, brown eyes. “Perrie does not like me. She’s telling me to stay away from you. She’s speaking bad about me and Niall’s relationship. She’s jealous.” you said. Zayn didn’t take his eyes off you. There were a few moments of silence. “What do you mean? What does she say to you?” he interrogated. You didn’t like the tension in the room. Niall sat on the other side of you with his hand n one of your knees. Your hands were still in Zayn’s. You could tell just by the way he looked and his body language that he was very uncomfortable. “She’s telling me to stay away from you. The first time we ever met she told me to keep my distance and that I better not be in a relationship with you.” you started off. Zayn looked into your soul to see if you were really telling the truth. He knew you were. But had a hard time believing it. You continued on. “And when you and Niall left the table I tried speaking with her but she still held a grudge. Not only did she keep on complaining that you and I are close and all, but she went after Niall and I’s relationship.” you said. You actually forgot Niall was in the room for a second. You felt his hand on your knee twitch a little after what you had said. You couldn’t turn aroud and look him.

     It would hurt too much. Both you and him. “She told me that this little relationship that we have won’t last. That this was only a Summer Love things and that when I’ll be single, she’s worried that you’ll end up falling for me and leave her.” you said. Niall twitched again behind you. You still didn’t look at him. You refused. Zayn’s mind finally caught up to the words. His mind came into reality. He snapped. He let his head drop down. His hands weren’t removed from yours. He bit his lip and you heard him breathe. “Please, tell me this isn’t true _____.” he said still with his head down. You didn’t like this. “It’s true Zayn.” you said sadly. You didn’t want Perrie to not like you. You wanted to like her. You wanted to become close friends with your bestfriend’s girlfriend. But unfortunately, you couldn’t. Zayn then looked up. “This is serious?” he asked both you and Niall. His head looked at you, then it turned to Niall. This time you turned aroud to look at him. Niall seemed fine. Niall looked at you. You both nodded at eachother, then looked at Zayn and nodded at him. He sighed and continued shaking his head, still in a bit of shock. “Why would we make something up like that?” Niall asked Zayn. He shrugged. “I don’t know.” he said in a very negative tone. You didn’t like seeing Zayn unhappy. In fact, you hated it. You’ve always hated it. Watching Zayn get emotional, or upset was like watching a little puppy getting kicked. It was unbareable. You felt his body shake a little. You sucked your teeth and moved even closer to him where you were almost on his lap. You took your hands away from his and wrapped your arms aroud his body and cradled him like a baby. “I never wanted to tell you.” you said softly. “But it had to be done.” He wasn’t crying. He was just upset and disappointed. “No.” Zayn said firmly. You were shocked. So was Niall. You didn’t expect that. You removed your hands away from him and scooted closer towards Niall. Niall put one arm over you, protectively. Zayn wasn’t that angry. But you could see that he was definetely not in a good mood. He stood up. “I’m glad you did.” he said calmly. “Because tomorrow morning, Perrie is coming over to this house and we’re all gonna have a talk.” he said taking charge. That actually wasn’t a bad idea. He was using his brain. You and Niall both nodded in agreement and approvement. “We should.” Niall said aloud. Zayn nodded and looked at the pair of you. He then sighed and took a step closer towards both of you. He got down on one knee as if he were proposing. “Listen you two.” he said slowly. “I love you both so much. And you obviously know that…” he started saying. “And please, if all those things you’re saying about Perrie is true. You know, about the whole Summer Love thingy…” he continnued. You got tense. “Please don’t listen alright? We’re all gonna talk tomorrow and settle this straight. I promise. It’s all gonna get better okay?” he asked. Wow. You were impressed. Sometimes Zayn was oblivious like a rock but sometimes he really used his mind and heart and knew how to approach people. He knew exactly what to say at exactly the rigt time. Now was one of those times. You and Niall both smiled together. A smile grew on Zayn’s face as he saw you two looking a bit happier. “Thanks Zayn.” Niall said. Zayn nodded at Niall. “Yeah.” you added on. Niall and Zayn looked at you. “Thanks.” you said quietly. Zayn chuckled and then stood up. He opened his arms and bent down. He have you two a group hug and squeezed you tight. “I love you both.” Zayn whispered into your ears. You were satisfied. “We love you too bro.” Niall answered. Zayn let you go and stood upright, facing you two once again. “Yeah. We love you too.” you repeated. Zayn smiled a little bit before turning around and exiting the room. He shut the door, leaving you and Niall alone. There were a few moments of silence again. Then Niall broke it. He sighed and then laughed to himself quietly. “Summer Love.” he said shaking his head down at the floor. You bit your lip and scooted towards him. You put your arm around him and leaned your head on his shoulder. He didn’t react. You kissed his cheek once. No smile.