Chapter 9: Announcements & Anxiety

Within a flash, your few days off were over and you were back to school. The least expected arrival however was the one of Shota Aizawa who was completely mummified and limping around as if his life depended on it.

"Wasn't his return supposed to be next week?" Kaminari whispered in your ear making you grumble, annoyed.

"It was. I should have strapped him to the bed when I had the chance," you scowled. Aizawa, as expected, brushed off any questions about his well being and health but continued on to the next topic.

"Your fight isn't over," he muttered. You could've sworn the atmosphere got at least 10 times thicker as your friends became uneasy and apprehensive.

"Well that was a disastrous way to announce the sports festival," you groaned.

"Precisely. The U.A sports festival is coming up," Aizawa nodded. While the students around you were glad it wasn't another villain attack, they were still tense. The prospect of an attack happening during the festival scared the living daylight out of them all.

Jirou voiced everyone's thoughts and fears but was immediately shut down by Aizawa who claimed that the event was taking place to reassure the world of U.A's safety.

"You have two weeks to prepare. If any of you need support items, fill out this form," the teacher sighed. "Shirakumo, meet me outside."

With a sense of dread bottling up in your stomach, you followed the mummy of a teacher outside.

"Do you want to participate or are you helping from the sidelines again?" He asked.

"Heroes already know what I can do from the side so, as much as I don't like it, I'll be participating this year. You're staying with either Mic or Midnight throughout the fest. Don't strain yourself or get injured," you rambled on.

"Y/N. I'll be fine. Worry about yourself and your training," he interjected sharply.

You nodded and headed back into the classroom to see everyone chatting and laughing as if nothing ever happened. Then the weirdest thing a person could imagine happened, Uraraka got aggressive and threatened the class with good vibes bringing a new meaning to 'kill with kindness'. As if the day couldn't get more hectic, a blockage of students formed in front of the classroom door making sure no one could get out.

They claimed to want to see the hero course everyone was talking about only to be deeply disappointed.

"Don't talk about my class like that. We're aggressive teenagers with flaws, just like you. If you can't accept that you'll never win the fest, let alone become a top hero," you defended them. Without sparing them another glance, Bakugo stalked out. You followed that idea and dragged Denki out, navigating through the crowd.

"Bakugo! Shirakumo! This is your mess, clean it up man!" You heard the others call after you.

"Oi cloudy, dunce face. I'll win so don't get your head big because you managed to fix a crowd. I'm the best and I'll prove it," Bakugo snarled once you caught up to him.

"Last time I checked kacchan you lost to Midoriya. He can talk big about winning because it makes sense. You, on the other hand, need to sort out those superiority and inferiority complexes," you glared at him and trudged of, Denki following close behind you.

"Weren't you a bit harsh on him? He's a good guy and you know it, you just need to scratch below the surface," Denki asked, concerned.

"I know. We even bonded over a romance anime. He's great, you could even go as far as calling him my friend. But that's only because I can put up with his prickly attitude. Not everyone will and before you know it, he won't have friends. Sorting it out will give him allies, acquaintances and possibly even something more in the future," you sighed.

"Let's wait for Hatsume. No doubt she's heard what went down and wants the gossip," Kaminari joked, successfully making you crack a smile.

Less than a minute later, the devil in pink herself showed up. She seemed to be severely annoyed and deep in thought so the two of you didn't disturb her. Cranky Hatsume was probably the worst one to deal with. It was a peaceful walk to the train station filled with a comfortable silence as each of you focused on your training plans for the next two weeks. Kaminari would have to improve his electric durability or whatever he wanted to call it, you would have to work on your wind to make sure your hands don't give out and Hatsume would probably watch from the side lines.

"It's kind of scary to think I'll be in the same ring as hero course students. But at least I can show off my babies!" the girl grinned as if she had read your mind.

"Right, I forgot the entire school participates," you mumbled. That just meant more opponents. More people judging you and more of a need to prove yourself. As it stood right now, Todoroki or Bakugo would probably come in first due to their competitive nature and adept usage in their powerful quirks. That was only from your class, who knew how powerful the students in the other courses were.

"Stop worrying Shirakumo-san, you'll do great," Hatsume told you.

"So what's with the last name? Are you going to tell me or am I just going to continue third wheeling?" Denki asked.

"I don't remember how it started but it's to calm me down. I'm used to the first name basis with Mei-Chan so when I hear my surname it usually gives me a jolt that stops me from spiraling and brings me back to earth. Does that make sense?" you tried explaining it to your friend who just looked at you blank and confused.

"Not at all. I'm part of the family now, just because you're smart doesn't mean I am. Your traditions and daily life works around me," the pikachu sulked.

"Kaminari-kun we know. We've been planning around you for the past three years. As for tradition, we could celebrate with ice cream afterward?" Mei suggested.

"Our place?" you asked.

"No, the vendor 12 blocks from there with the crappy ice cream. Of course I'm talking about our place," she retorted exasperated.

"You make it sound like you had a date there," Kaminari grumbled.

"Are you sad that you're still single?" you teased.

When you realized what happened, your golden eyed friend ran for his life with you running behind him. Hatsume, being the amazing human she was, stood there and filmed the scene as you nearly killed your best friend.

"If worse comes to worst, I wouldn't mind having a poly-amorous relationship with you two," Denki coughed out, only to be bonked on the head by you.

Just like that, the atmosphere throughout the walk lightened immediately.