Chapter 64: the sidekick known as Cloud Nine

The five of you got into the limousine waiting for you, driving off to Kamino city centre.

"Oi kid, cheer up would ya?" Mandalay scoffed, turning around to face you. "What's gotten you in the dumps anyway?"

"Try literally being in the dumps," you joked, groaning.

"Oh," she sighed, realising her mistake. "Sorry kiddo, it'll get better soon. You'll find someone as dazzling as- OH MY GOD WE'RE HERE!"

Whilst most people assumed Mandalay to be the most mature of the Pussycats, they often forgot that the young woman still had a childish personality.

She was no where near as bad as Pixie Bob, but she was easily excitable and quickly distracted.

You snickered at her antics, following her into the huge stadium where heroes and sidekicks alike were making small talk, waiting for the big announcements to start.

Looking around for people you knew, you spotted a familiar face and instantly beelined towards her.

"Guess who?" You grinned, covering your mentor's eyes from behind.

"You're damn lucky I'm drunk, otherwise I'd have sent a kick your way," she laughed, pulling you off and into a tight hug.

"Go easy on yer intern Rumi-chan," Hawks smirked, leaning over the table to face her.

You glared at the winged man, though scoffed and softened slightly.

The three of you continued talking for a while, along with other heroes who came to greet you for formality's sake.

Soon, you got to the point everyone dreaded.

"It's crazy thinking that All Might won't be up here," Mirko smiled bitterly. "I've looked up to him since day 1, he was always number one on the billboard. But this time around..."

"Guess we'll have the fire lord as our new number one," you sighed, taking another sip of your drink.

"What did you say about me?" A voice boomed from behind you.

"Well, that's my cue to leave," you smiled awkwardly, sending finger guns his way before rushing off to find someone else you knew.

The first two you ran into were Bubble Girl and Centipeder, both who had eyebags reaching the floor.

"Hey Cloudy," Bubble Girl greeted, mustering up a small smile.

"You need sleep, you're way too stressed about the agency. I'll explain your absence, go home and take rest for christ's sake," you scolded, pushing them out.

"I promise we're fine," Centipeder interrupted. "Everything's under control, no need to worry."

You looked up at the sidekick, knowing it was a lie to not worry you. But at the same time, knowing that he'd mainly lied to convince himself.

Nothing was alright.

Nighteye was dead, they'd been left behind without a real plan, both under crippling stress, they had to work cases and manage both interns and an agency, it was too much for them.

You sighed, but accepted the answer.

"Ring me up if you need help," you offered. "I'm still a legally stated sidekick that can step out in emergencies."

Both smiled at you, grateful for your offer.

"Thank you, really, but we've got to work this out on our own," Bubble Girl declined. "If we're going to run this agency, we need to learn how to do it independently."