Chapter 21: fanning the flames

By day 3 of internships, you were already up at 4 am. It was a sudden change but you were sparked with determination after yesterday.

You made your way to the bathroom and were met with Mirko who grinned at you.

"Say, Mirko. I've always wondered, what species of rabbit are you? If you were a different one, would it affect your quirk?" You asked as you applied the toothpaste to your toothbrush.

"I'm a Tiger bunny, I don't think so, and I'm technically human with the bunny's abilities. Actually, it would probably be different, like reduced pain tolerance," she responded after spitting her paste out.

The next few minutes were spent with you brushing your teeth and listening to Mirko as she talked about her quirk and the different possibilities with different rabbits.

"That sounds super cool," you finally responded once you spat out your toothpaste.

The two of you went on a run afterward, obviously in costume so it could double as patrol.

Mirko would never admit it but she prioritised time and effort over anything. The hero would do anything to save lives and do it quickly as well. That's what made you look up to her. Naturally, due to this, she was also lazy. Most heroes were, ironically. They did all the work they had to because it was their job, but they finished it quickly to get it done with.

The two of you were back home by 5:30, both starving and ready to eat.

Breakfast was a simple fibre infested oatmeal to provide energy for the day. Rumi was a great cook, even if she was humble about it.

"Alright, I'm thinking we start work and at 8 we train. 12 to 1:30, lunch break. I don't want you doing hardcore training on a full stomach so we'll work on cases after that. Patrol at 4 sound good?" She ran her thoughts by you, pouring both of you a glass of orange juice.

"Maybe it'll be better to train first, that way we get all the workout done in one go. Can I look through your files for another easy case? I don't have much to work on," you asked her, to which she readily nodded.

Breakfast was quiet and peaceful with the sound of birds chirping hovering about as the two of you ate.

Naturally, the two of you finished quickly and cleaned up, ready to start the day.

Training was the same as the days before, parkour followed by conditional training.

Naturally, you improved in all of it, enough to satisfy both her and yourself.

After that, you showered while she prepared lunch. It was only 10, but at least it could be ready to eat whenever.

She showered as soon as you came out, and then the two of you headed to the agency.

It was a short walk to the actual agency since her house was on the second floor of the skyscraper. First floor was reception and only those with personal access could enter the suite.

"You know, I genuinely thought your agency would be a literal rabbit burrow," you giggled at the imagery.

"Really?" Mirko asked, laughing as well. "Ooh here's an interesting case, I think you'll like this one."

Your teacher handed you a file which you recognised immediately.

"Case W-gTQ4. I'm familiar," you pursed your lips.

"Really? It's 10 years old, very few know about it. Most gave up, but there's a prize for whoever can solve it," she explained.

"It was a suicide," you shrugged, opening the file to reveal the contents.

"Evidence?" She asked.

"The witness arrived at 3 PM, after daycare, saw the body and called the cops. Said witness was also 5 years old, no child would murder their parents at that age. They arrived along with Eraserhead and Present Mic half an hour later, and found the child sobbing. If it were a murder, the objects would have been moved around and there would be evidence of a break in. Not to mention, she would have been shot in a place providing immediate death. That won't always happen with a suicide. Of course, if we're looking before this even became a case, we can notice that the witness stated that her mother was disassociated for years after the deaths of both my father and brother until it was too much for her and she finally ended it," you explained, pointing to all the evidence and connecting it.

"What do your father and brother have to do with this?" Mirko asked, squinting her eyes.

"The witness was me. And the victim was my mother," you confessed, barely a whisper.

Mirko didn't say anything, though it was evident in her eyes that she was trying to figure her next words out.

When nothing seemed satisfactory, she gave up on trying to string words together and hugged you instead.

"Alright, pick out another case or browse HN. Sound good?" Mirko asked passing you a stack of files.

The one at the bottom caught the most attention. It was a dusty file with the ensigna of the hero safety commission on it.

You pulled it out and looked through it, still intrigued by the appearance.

"Knew you'd go for that one. It's a year old, and solved, but trying to solve it yourself would still be good practice," she chuckled at your predictability.

"The sludge villain case? A classmate of mine was attacked by it in middle school, the arrest dates match up as well," you noticed. "How long were you tracking it for?"

"Only a couple weeks. All Might flew in that month so he took care of the rest," she shrugged.

The two of you continued in such a manner. File after file, question after question. You solved most considering they were easy cases that mostly required common sense, but with a few the villain was smart enough to add plot twists.

You were both in peace.

And of course the villains had to ruin it.

You received an alert from HN, surprising both of you.

"I was right," you breathed.

"Change into costume," Mirko decided, looking at the alert. "We're headed to Hosu City."