Chapter 44: Sacrifice

You were up and ready early next morning, all dressed up and ready to go to work studies. Amajiki met you in front of the first year's dorm area with Mirio, who was taking Midoriya to Nighteye's agency.

Fatgum's agency wasn't all too special. It was a simple one, next to a lot of food courts to assist his quirk.

"Hey, you're Loud Cloud's little sister!" The hero exclaimed, recognizing you.

"Yep, he was my brother," you smiled, sheepishly rubbing the back of your neck. "I'm Shirakumo Y/N, hero name's Cloud Nine."

With the short and crisp introduction, you got straight to the interviewing. Amajiki was sent to work with the sidekicks, while Fatgum interrogated you.

"I usually accept everyone, but this year's a special case. So many people apply due to regulations, I want the best of the best, you know? So, what can you bring to this agency?" He smiled widely.

"I'm best at strategizing and forming battle plans, it's my strong suit. Where I need to improve is thinking on instinct. I know that's your strong suit. We can work together and get amazing results when apprehending villains and other criminals," you explained, watching his smile widen with every word.

"You've really thought this through huh?" Fatgum grinned, amazed that you already had a thorough resume.

"Yessir," you responded nervously.

Overthinking was one of your main fatal flaws, you were well aware of that.

You'd already learnt how to think on your feet and make plans quickly, now you just had to work on intuition.

"Alright Cloud Nine, I look forward to seeing what you can do," Fatgum shook your hand, accepting your offer.

Within a week, he'd accepted Kirishima in as well, much to your delight.

However, you didn't dare show it out in public. As students, you were still required to go to school on days when field work wasn't necessary. Not to mention, you'd go back to the dorms at night.

One night, you'd heard Midoriya muttering to himself about a case he was working on. Poor boy didn't snap out of it until you slapped him. It didn't take him long to apologise and explain the situation.

You sighed as you recalled the case. There was still Yakuza on the loose, you'd have to be more careful on missions.

The four of you were currently on patrol, though nothing interesting had happened so far. You'd assumed that there'd be more crises in the inner city, though you were fine with a simple patrol while eating (f/f) as well.

"Cloud Nine, you sure you don't want some more?" Fatgum asked.

"I don't have a food based quirk like you do, really, I'm fine," you declined his offer for the hundredth time.

He simply shrugged and continued walking calmly.

Suddenly a person ran into him.

This wasn't any normal encounter, like a store run in or so. The person, a criminal, ran into the hero at full speed, instantly getting absorbed into the fat.

A second criminal, who was running close behind the first, narrowly avoided the blockade by turning himself into a two dimensional figure.

"Suneater!" Fatgum yelled, turning around.

The boy already had octopus tentacles wrapped around the criminal, containing him completely. He then manifested a clam shell and hit the criminal until he was unconscious.

"That was super cool!" You grinned, awed by his quirk.

"Oh damn you do feel emotion," Kirishima commented, to which you feigned offence.

"Your quirk's great, Suneater. It's just that negative mentality we need to work on," Fatgum patted the trainee's head.

The wholesome moment didn't last too long, since another criminal came up and pulled a gun. Fatgum instantly yelled at the surrounding citizens to evacuate the area and get to safety, while the three of you prepared to fight.

A bullet was fired, headed straight for Amajiki. Multiple cries from both your mentor and friends were heard as you instantly pushed your upperclassmen out of the way and took the shot instead.

You winced at the impact it made to your arm, glad that you had the presence to guard your face and torso.

Amajiki only stared at you, wide eyed.

"Pesky hero wannabes," the criminal grumbled, cocking the gun once more.

"Yet you still see us as a threat to be eliminated," you scoffed, plucking the bullet out of you upper arm.

You simply thought of the bullet as a distraction, a harmless one, but you didn't realise the effects of it until you attempted to retaliate with an attack of your own.

By the time you'd realised, a second bullet was already headed towards Kirishima, who simply hardened his skin and let the bullet bounce off.

The man who fired the bullets looked at both of you in shock.

"The bastard just erased my quirk," you commented, still processing it.

As soon as you realised that, the man in front of you began running.

"Stay here, I'll capture him," Kirishima ordered, sprinting after the man.

He was surprised to see you matching his pace mere seconds later, ignoring orders from both your mentor and friends.

"Didn't I tell you to wait?" He asked, worried.

"Bitch it's my quirk. I'm not playing damsel in distress here, I'm getting that shit back," you snarled back.

"But what if you-"

"Listen, if I die, cool. But I'm not letting you die for something that I could've helped with," you reasoned, running ahead.

He only watched you, eyes wide, a glint of admiration in them.

The two of you ended up in an alleyway, facing the criminal.

"Of fucking course we're in a shady alleyway," you scoffed, taking out your staff.

Thanks to Mei, most of your equipment could be used best with quirk. However, assuming that you'd do quirkless combat in class, you made sure that they could be used without as well. This counted for all of your support items, except your visor.

Since it had a constant wind current that needed to be controlled subconsciously, erasing your quirk erases the functionality of it as well. Thankfully, you weren't in a stormy area, otherwise you'd be screwed.

You still didn't know the quirk the man in front of you possessed, so it was fair to say that both you and Kirishima were terrified when blades came shooting out in your direction.

Kirishima hardened himself and took the blow head on, whereas you ducked and slid under all the blades in a futile attempt to get closer to the source.

But with pure adrenaline controlling your instincts, you didn't realise the danger you were throwing yourself in.

Danger that could get you killed.