Chapter 31: Hospital Coffee

A day had passed since Bakugo's kidnapping. Both you and Denki had received multiple phone calls from Mei, who was worried sick about you.

You'd calmed down a bit after last night's incident, though it still seemed so surreal to you. Both Kirishima and Denki were aware that you blamed yourself for it after you told them what happened, which was another reason why you wanted to get him back.

7 PM.

A good majority of the two classes were in hospital beds, some even in a comatose state after the poison gas.

Many of your classmates were relatively unscathed, with injuries that could be healed easily by bandages.

You all waited around Midoriya's hospital bed, chattering while you waited for him to wake up.

Denki let you fiddle with his fingers, knowing that it helped relieve stress and anxiety for you.

"Midoriya-Kun, you're awake," you noticed.

"Shirakumo-San? Is everyone from our class here?" Midoriya asked drowsily.

Iida then began listing the casualties of the fight. Lastly, he mentioned Bakugo's kidnapping, which immediately brought back the usual light in Midoriya's eyes, though it was dimmer.

Though Kirishima immediately pointed out that him and Todoroki were eavesdropping dropping on a conversation and they had a plan.

"I demand you to leave the case to the heroes! It is unsafe for us students and we'd only get in the way," Iida reasoned.

"No! I'm tired of not doing anything and leaving everything to the pros. That's my best friend there, I'm helping him! If I didn't do that I won't be a hero or a man!" Kirishima announced.

"Dude calm down, we're in a hospital," Denki shushed him.

"I'm coming with you," you quietly agreed.

"Like hell you are! Hatsume-San was worried sick, you could've died! You can't go, it's too-" Denki rambled.

"If I didn't know it was dangerous, I wouldn't have volunteered. I know I can die, I know I'll get injured, but I'd rather do something than let my friend die," you stated.

Silence coated the entire room, only getting louder by the second.

"So it's settled. We'll leave tonight," Todoroki decided.

Tsuyu however, wasn't having any of it.

"Please, think carefully. If you go through with the plan while your emotions cloud your judgement," she gulped. "Your actions are no different that those of a villain."

"Vigilante," you corrected. "Please Tsu-chan, he's our friend and classmate we can't just leave him. You were there when it happened, you know how it went down."

Your efforts to persuade her were futile, as she stuck by her morals and worried about your safety.

"Y/N-chan, you're strong. But your judgement and battle sense is clouded by emotions. It's your choice," she concluded.

It was true, you couldn't think straight at all as your once finely honed battle sense was reduced to that of a slug.

You sighed in an attempt to calm yourself down and regain composure.

The class stood in silence as they processed Tsuyu's words.

You took a deep breath and made up your mind.

Later that night, before you left, you gave Kaminari one last hug.

"I'll be safe," you promised.

"I know you will," he muttered.

You felt the light crackle of electricity near the back of your neck, followed by a shock. Then the world went black.

Normally, electricity doesn't affect you. But the back of your neck, the centre of your nervous system, could be considered an Achilles heel. That was where you were most vulnerable.

You woke up seemingly hours later on a hospital bed, machines connected to you. Next to you was Kaminari, curled up on a chair. It was evident he'd been crying.

"I know you're awake," he said coldly.

The boy sighed and explained his side of the story.

"You've only been out for half an hour, calm down. But if you get up again, I'll shock you," he threatened. "Look my friend got kidnapped and we don't even know if he's alive. If they're chasing a false lead, if he is dead, maybe they won't come back either. What if they're going straight into a trap? I've already lost one friend, probably going to lose a second, I can't lose my best friend! Hatsume wouldn't handle it either."

Were you angry?

Yes, you just got shocked for God's sake.

Did you understand his side?

Yes.

"You know maybe next time try to talk me out of it instead of borderline attempting murder," you chuckled.

"Oh, one more thing," Kaminari nervously laughed. "Aizawa-Sensei said you're grounded for life and he'll talk to you after the press conference."

"Shit that's now?" Your eyes widened, immediately reaching for the remote to turn on the news.

"It's in an hour," you heard a familiar voice say.

You didn't know what to say. For one, it was awkward due to your escape attempt, but secondly, the man actually dressed up and did his hair.

"Looking good Sensei!" Kaminari grinned, giving him a thumbs up.

"Sorry, and good luck," you mumbled, looking anywhere but at him.

Aizawa sighed and sat at the foot of your bed.

"Look I'm not disappointed that you tried to save your friend, you're a hero in training I expect that of you. But you're going to have to earn my trust again so that I know you're not running off somewhere. You're still my younger sister aren't you?" He lectured.

The last sentence was enough to bring tears to your eyes. Knowing that you finally accepted each other as family was the light you needed right now.

You lunged at him, wrapping him into a tight hug.

"Hey don't leave me hanging!" Kaminari whined.

"Like hell am I hugging you Kaminari," he grumbled in response.

Though before he could utter any further words, you pulled your best friend in as well.

It was a funny sight to say the least. Aizawa kept trying to get Kaminari off while the blonde kept trying to get a hug from the coffee smelling teacher.

In the end, Kaminari succeeded, much to Aizawa's dismay.

"Conference is starting soon, I've got to go now. I'll see if Recovery Girl can do a checkup," Aizawa sighed, ruffling your hair as he made his way out.

After being in the hospital for an entire day due to a short term attack like this, you realised you probably wouldn't get the hospital smell out anytime soon.