Chapter 46: unwarranted worries

You groggily answered the phone, confused as to who'd be calling you at an ungodly hour.

"Hello?" You murmured, voice cracking with morning voice.

"Cloudy, glad I got you! Didya just get up?" You heard Fatgum ask from the other end of the line. "Ah, no matter. How's your quirk?"

"Sir I've been awake for 10 seconds, calm down," you sighed, shifting about so as to not wake Denki.

You flexed your arm, trying to create the smallest harmless cloud yet to no avail.

"Fatgum?" You asked, checking he hadn't hung up yet. "It isn't back yet."

"What isn't back yet?" Denki groaned behind you, woken up from your call.

You gave him an apologetic glance before continuing to listen to the instructions your mentor gave you.

"I'm putting you on med leave," he confirmed.

"Um no you're not? I applied to learn and improve my instinct. That counts with quirkless combat. I'm waking Kirishima up, we'll be there in half an hour," you scoffed, hanging up on him.

"You lost your quirk?" Denki guessed.

"Yeah, took a bullet in the battle," you confirmed as you slipped into your hero costume and headed over to Kirishima's dorm, Denki close behind.

"Y/N you've gotta be kidding me, you can't do field work when you can't defend yourself," he reasoned, though you ignored him and knocked on your friend's door.

"Watch me. Eijiro-kun, I'm coming in!" You warned, opening the door.

"Kiribro help me convince her! She's doing field work, quirkless!" Denki exclaimed, worry kicking in.

"Kaminari, don't worry about it. She'll be fine," Kirishima yawned, slipping on the last of his gear. "Still no jacket?"

"I'm sending in my entire costume this evening for altering, until then no," you shrugged.

The two of you walked out, leaving Denki in shock and worry.

The same thing happened for the rest of the week. Every day, you came and went, leaving Denki and Mei in worry, contemplating if you'd even return.

You'd gotten all your equipment fixed up, and your bike adjusted, all for quirkless combat as well. Knowing that you could lose your quirk at any time left you on edge constantly.

You didn't want to risk others suffering the same fate you did.

By now, your quirk had been recovered and your instinct was honed well.

Come day five, and the two of you were headed to Nighteye's agency, along with Uraraka, Tsu and Midoriya.

As soon as you got there, you were met with a horde of people consisting of the big three and all your mentors, along with a few other heroes.

"Bubble Girl! Thank God I know someone," you breathed out a sigh of relief as you headed toward your friend. "How's the agency?"

The blue haired girl chuckled at that.

"Not the worst," she sighed. "Did you check HN?"

Your eyes widened at that.

"No, any news?" You asked.

"Shirakumo-San, you know her?" Midoriya asked, surprised.

"Honestly surprised you didn't figure it out. Ex-sidekick, Storm Cloud. Pleasure," you reintroduced yourself, smirking at their shocked looks.

"Enough chatter," a man announced, silencing everyone instantly.

He walked to the front desk, where Bubble Girl stood, and took a seat. The man had a piercing glare, covered by his glasses. The only thing that was visible were his furrowed eyebrows and creased forehead.

You raised an eyebrow at his appearance, surprised to see someone so formal constantly sporting a glare.

"Thank you for coming to this meeting," Sir Nighteye began. "You're all here because your quirks and skill will help in the next mission. Raiding the Shie Hassaikai base."

Your eyes widened at that, confused.

"Sir, they're Yakuza. Underground, most likely, if they've hidden for this long. We can't just waltz in without a plan, most of us don't even know the objective," you pointed out.

Nighteye looked at you and kept his gaze on you for a second.

"Why couldn't you have come to my agency instead of that green haired dimwit," he muttered. "Yes, you're right. I'm getting to that now."

His second sidekick, Centipeder, then took over. He explained how the Shie Hassaikai was in contact with multiple other villain teams and the black market, though the reason so far was unknown.

They were expanding the organisation and sharing products, that was all that could be certain for now.

"They've recently made contact with the League of Villains as well," Centipeder remarked, making your eyes widen instantly.

You looked over to Kirishima to see a similar reaction of fear, though neither of you dared to voice them yet.

"So that's why Tsukauchi and I were called in," Gran Torino thought aloud.

"Where is Tsukauchi?" Rock Lock asked.

"Out on an investigation," Gran Torino replied, shrugging him off. The hero then turned to Midoriya and explained that the students were getting into a very troublesome case.

Midoriya, being the ever loving kind soul he was, simply shrugged and smiled, saying it wasn't a problem at all.

"I've requested for all your help through HN, due to your quirks and skills being fit for the mission," Bubble girl asked humbly.

"That's great and all, but what about the kids. We've gotta move along quickly and they'll be a liability when things get dark," Rock Lock pointed out, making you laugh out loud.

Heads turned to you, seeking an explanation.

"You know, it's funny you think so, because we're actually some of your most important pawns," you chuckled darkly, gesturing towards Fatgum.

"She's right," the hero said, standing up. "Suneater and Cloud Nine got hit by a quirk erasing bullet the other day, and the villain who attacked them had multiple drugs on hand."

The bullets neatly fell out of Fatgum's hands, showing everyone how large the case was.

"You got hit?" You asked Amajiki instantly.

"Are you fine?" Mirio asked, concerned.

"I didn't want to worry you," the purple haired boy confessed, nervously, before demonstrating that he was alright by creating a cow hoof.

"The bullets are different to how my quirk works," Aizawa began, gaining the attention of all heroes. "I don't attack the actual quirk, only prevent the opponent from using it for as long as my eyes remain open. The bullets, on the other hand, physically attack the quirk and damage the Plus Alpha gene."

"Right, which brings me to my next point," Fatgum nodded, continuing.

"The bullets were made of human blood and cells."

Question of the day: favourite character from mha?