Chapter 36: the eye of the storm

Before long, the day of the licensing exam was here. All of you stood in front of Takoba National Stadium.

"I can't believe we're actually here," you awed.

"Yeah? Don't get too excited. The passing rate is low, only 100 students even get through the first stage. You're also going up against second years so don't count your chickens before they hatch," Aizawa instantly burst the bubble.

"I can't wait to be a heroic chicken!" Denki cheered, making you snicker.

"Yeah, let's all become heroic chickens," you agreed, bringing the class up into a huddle. "Plus-"

"Ultra!" A foreign voice yelled.

You just blinked at that, not having expected it.

After being reprimanded by his classmates, he immediately bowed in apology, crushing the concrete beneath him. This, of course, surprised you more.

"They're from the west, rivals of U.A," Bakugo noted.

"So I heard. But I'm more worried about-" you began.

"Eraser! Is that you?" An all too familiar voice called.

"No, this is Pencil and Ocean! Nothing to see here!" You responded, attempting to hide from her.

Needless to say, your plan failed.

"Y/N-chan as well! How long's it been?" She asked, pinching your cheeks.

"Too little, apparently," you groaned, whacking her hands off your face.

Then the flirting began. Well, one sided flirting.

"The three of you are awfully close," Tsu commented, pointing at Aizawa and Joke.

"And cue the over dramatic backstory," you gestured.

"I'm not over dramatic! Anyways, we had our agency near each other and always helped each other out. We were even lovers-" she began explaining.

"No, that part happened in your dreams," you cut in, disgusted.

"She learned from the best," Bakugo smirked, though shut up instantly when you glared at him.

Just then, Ketsubutsu students crowded around your class, awing the persistence of your class. One of those students was an older boy, Yo Shindo.

"I'm amazed that you survived everything, you must tell me your secrets," he rambled as he clasped Midoriya's hands.

You eyed him up and down, before deciding he wasn't a threat.

"Improve your acting," you rolled your eyes at the terrible attempt to win your class over. "You aren't convincing anyone."

"Hey Shirakumo-chan, don't be rude! He was just trying to greet us," Kirishima groaned, tired of both your and Katsuki's bullshit.

Though Shindo only laughed as the two of you walked off to get ready.

"I'll admit, my motives were ulterior. Class A has a smart chick. Would you perhaps be interested in giving me your number?" He draped his arm around you.

You shoved him off instantly with the most disgusted look on your face.

It didn't take long before a good fifty percent of the guys were around the two of you, ready to stab a bitch.

Hey, being gay comes with privileges. You had your own protection squad and a great relationship with the guys.

"Now now, let's not kill him yet. We don't want to get disqualified before the exam, do we?" You drawled, smirking.

"You're right, you're right," Denki pondered. "Are you free next Sunday?"

"No one is killing anyone. All of you. I want you changed in five," Aizawa glared at all of you.

With a bunch of yessir's, you were all inside the huge stadium getting ready.

You were met with a sleep deprived man, blabbering on and on about the preliminary round.

One thing was clear: out of the 1540 students in the hall, 1539 would be your enemies for now. 1519 if you get a good allyship with your class. You'd have to remove all the obstacles, maybe with help if you were lucky.

Three velcro pads were passed around per person, each to be stuck anywhere visible enough to others.

When you stuck yours on, your friends were convinced it was suicide.

"Don't worry, I've got a plan," you shrugged their worries off.

"Yeah but is your stomach and chest area really the best for that?" Todoroki asked, politely looking away.

You only smirked in response.

The softballs were handed out shortly afterward, as soon as everyone had secured their velcro pads.

And then, the games began.

Essentially, the national stadium was a big never ending box with thousands of layers. They simply peeled off this one to reveal an outdoor situation.

Midoriya instantly advised for teamwork, since all your quirks had been broadcasted on live TV, though Bakugo, Kirishima and Todoroki moved off on their own.

"If you die, I'll kill you myself," you threatened jokingly. Though all three of them accepted the challenge you set.

With that, the rest of you were huddled up, seeking solace and protection in one another.

Solace. Wonderful word. But like many other things, it's a construct of society.

A thick silence hung over all of you as Jirou and Shoji desperately tried to sense for incoming danger.

It clicked the same time it did for Midoriya.

"It's an ambush!" The two of you yelled to the others.

Hundreds of students from the two schools were around your little group, eager to win against U.A's golden eggs. Your class was steadily proving them wrong.

Jirou started it off strong with Heartbeat Distortion, shattering the ground and making the softballs underground easier to spot. Mina defended Mineta with her acid veil, only to regret it seconds later. And so, they continued.

Of course, since the spot was especially arid with little to no wind currents, you were practically screwed.

"Denki, let's stay away from each other," you whispered to him, narrowly deflecting a ball.

"Huh? Why?" He asked, confused.

"I'll most likely use the water inside myself since this place is too dry. That'll increase charge between clouds, so lightning and static electricity in general will be worse," you explained shortly, focusing more on finding a certain dark haired male.

It didn't take long for Denki to put two and two together. If you used your own water, instead of another source like you usually do, you'd become drier yourself. This would cause your clouds to be more charged up and conductive, creating potential deathly lightning.

While you were in solid ground with reinforcements, you couldn't risk the lives of other students. Most had little protection against any weather hazards, they'd die instantly.

"Tremoring Earth!" You heard a familiar voice yell.

You turned your head in the direction and your eyes instantly lit up as you noticed who it was. The boy only smirked in response.

The mock earthquake caused by him gave you enough uplift to float to a safer area. But naturally, you didn't stop without taunting him beforehand.

"I look forward to fighting you, Shindo-kun," you whispered in his ear, before taking off in the opposite direction.

Where were you headed?

Your visor had spotted strong wind currents from one single point. You were going to make yourself an advantage in the eye of the storm.