Chapter 65: Silence isn't always Golden

Stepping into the classroom, you expected the same stone cold silence that always greeted you.

But instead, you were met with warm hugs.

They weren't from your friends, they were from Midoriya's friends. After weeks of not talking to your friends, you'd become completely touch starved and it was evident.

"Good job on placing number 2, kero," Tsu congratulated, smiling.

"Why wasn't Centipeder on the chart this time though, he was an amazing sidekick," Uraraka pointed out.

"He's technically a hero now, and in charge of the Nighteye agency," you reminded. "Think he placed in the mid 200s yesterday?"

"Only?" Midoriya asked, shocked.

"Yeah, the transitions are always rough especially with the tough competition," you sighed. "Heroes will sometimes mentally break sidekicks so that they won't be in the ring anymore."

The three gasped in shock at your revelation, though you shrugged it off, heading to your seat.

Everyone had their phones out with last night's article pulled up, comparing you to the smiling girl in the picture.

The three foot walk to your seat felt much longer than it usually did, now that all eyes were on you.

You kept your head tilted at the ground, not wanting to meet any of their gazes.

Finally taking your seat, you sighed in relief and leaned onto your arms to take a nap.

"Hey, good job dude," Jirou smiled softly from next to you. "Still sorry about-"

"Thank you, and I told you. It's not your fault," you sighed, going back to sleep.

You heard various hushed whispers from around you as you slept, though attempted to not listen to their conversations too much.

Their joyous laughter would only break you down even further.

Waking up as the homeroom bell rang, you took out your notebooks and textbooks, drowning out all other sounds.

Physics was never a strong suit, but in the time you stopped talking to your friends, studying and reading were one of the only other things you did. You'd steadily improved in all subjects, including hands on training, having overtaken Yaoyorozu in academics and both Todoroki and Bakugo in coursework.

But of course, it came with a side effect.

During class, you'd trained yourself to tune everything out except the teacher. This often led to situations where people asked you questions and it took you a long time to realise they were even talking to you.

Another side effect was the multitude of scars that littered your arms and legs.

You'd overworked yourself to the point of collapsing, multiple times. There'd been many occasions in the past months where you'd be training in a hall and wouldn't come back until the next school day because you passed out in there.

Not to mention, the meals you skipped to avoid social interaction.

All put together along with the stress your hero life was creating would be the death of you, you could feel it.

"Shirakumo-San!" You heard someone finally snap you out of your thoughts.

You looked up to see a glaring Kaminari.

"Get your head out the clouds," he scoffed, walking out holding his hero costume.

In the short time span of the lesson, you'd tuned out all other noise. It'd taken over ten minutes for Kaminari to bring you back to reality, and he'd only done it because he had to.