Chapter 40: the aftermath of the exam

A/N: didn't think we'd get this far, but hey! On with the story.

Recovery girl was annoyed by your sheer amount of both recklessness and impulsivity.

"Didn't I tell you to quit getting into stupid fights that'll only hurt you?" She groaned, whacking your head with her staff.

"The family was in danger, I had to do something," you reasoned.

You were covered in cuts and bruises, some even trickling blood. The amount of concrete that scraped past you was huge, creating a large number of similar injuries all over your body.

"I'll be fine RG. What happened to Orca's sidekick, he had a broken rib," you asked.

"Wheelchair for a month. He's fine, worry more about yourself," she sighed.

"I caused the injury, of course I'll be worried. And these are just cuts, you should've seen some of the stuff HUC impersonated," you shrugged her off.

You stalked out of the office, waving a final goodbye. Heading straight to the changing room, you noticed that you were the last girl to get treated.

Everyone else was already changed and in the waiting room.

You quickly changed, not bothering all too much about neatness. Aizawa would give you an earful for it later, but for now you just wanted a nap.

"Hey guys," you walked out to where the class was crowded around the big screen, searching anxiously for their names.

Most only gave a small smile at you before going back to the search.

"Only 89 examinees passed," Denki whimpered.

"I'm sure you did great, I saw you back then," you reassured him.

All names were arranged perfectly in alphabetical order, and you found yours just under a certain ravenette's.

"Shirakumo-San!" Shindo called out to you. "Team up with me sometime, yeah?"

"Sure. Want my number?" You shook his hand, gladly taking him up on the offer.

"Air and Land? You'll be a deathly cool duo!" Mina realised.

The two of you only laughed it off as you exchanged numbers.

What surprised you most was Mineta's comment. Todoroki and Bakugo had failed the exam.

You opted to leave both alone, knowing that they were hot heads who'd only get embarrassed by it.

Sheets of paper were passed around by the safety commission, each explaining the student's performance in detail.

Anyone who got before 50 points, failed the second stage.

"How many points did you guys get?" You asked, once you finished reading through your sheet.

"I barely scraped through," Kirishima sweat dropped, to which Midoriya agreed.

"I got 65," Denki showed you his paper.

"You got a lot of points off for clumsiness and carelessness," you mumbled, not realising he was looking at your paper.

"You got 97?" He asked, surprised.

"Yeah," you rubbed the back of your neck sheepishly.

Your classmates were all shocked at that, surprised that anyone had managed to get above 70.

You sighed and walked up to Bakugo. There wasn't much you could do without sounding condescending, but you couldn't stand that disappointed look on his face.

"Hey Blasty," you mumbled quietly, standing next to him.

"What do you want Air Head?" He growled.

"I know you'll do better in the second round. You're strong and smart, you only got points off for your social skills. I bet you'll get the best score next time," you tried talking to him.

"I don't need your pity," came the response. You couldn't blame him, you knew he'd take it terribly. But you tried anyways.

"I know you don't. But you need someone's understanding. They're different," you smiled softly at him and then left him alone to process your words.

Kaminari waited for you and the two of you headed out together. You took a picture with both your licenses as all to send to Mei. God knew she'd be anxiously waiting for news from you.

As soon as the realisation of your success settled in, the two of you collapsed into each other's arms, laughing from pure joy.

"We did it," you breathed out, relieved.

The other pulled you closer to him.

"We did it," Denki agreed, smiling.

That evening, everyone was back in the dorms talking relaxedly about the exam. As always, there was a small group playing card games while talking.

This time around, it was twister.

"Iida-kun if you don't get your head off my-" you began, only to be silenced by the others.

"My apologies Shirakumo-San, I slipped," he apologised, embarrassed.

"Shirakumo-chan, we got the class rep to let loose. Aren't you proud?" Mina cheered, spinning the wheel. "Denki, left hand green."

"I am not that uptight," Iida attempted to defend himself, though everyone disagreed with him.

"Really? Why are you playing along?" Jirou asked.

"This trains my legs and arms, as well as overall stability," he answered.

"Alright, the game's ruined. Get off, everyone go to bed," you shoved him off of you and ushered everyone to bed.

"What are you, our adopted big sis?" Mina joked.

"If you want," you shrugged. "Lights out fuckers, curfew's in 10!"

After what seemed like forever, Class A finally had a peaceful good night's rest.

Or so you thought.

While you were all sleeping peacefully, a pair of over enthusiastic boys decided to fight it out in ground beta.

"Are you two stupid?" You asked shamelessly. While your friends danced around the question, you got straight to the point. "Aizawa doesn't tolerate shit, didn't you learn from before?"

It was a ridiculously funny sight, seeing two of the strongest guys in class being lectured a second time by a seemingly sensitive girl.

"Alright Y/N, I think they've got it," Denki sighed, dragging you off.

"I'm glad you only got house arrest. And a lecture," Iida sighed.

The duo only nodded at that before going back to cleaning the commons.

You were still grumbling about their recklessness, surprised that they actually took out their anger on each other. You couldn't blame them, Bakugo needed an outlet and All Might's disciple was the perfect target.

You sighed at that. Class A was chaotic, you acknowledged that. But everything they did, they did for a reason.

Which meant that even if Bakugo and Midoriya were two idiots, they fought it out knowing the consequences.

"Hey, I know you're worried but you've gotta relax. It's Kacchan and Midoriya, they'll be fine," Kaminari reassured you, placing his hand on your shoulder.

"You're right. They will," you smiled softly as you watched the bickering duo. "That's just how they are."

You'd all been through a lot in the past few months. Some joked and smiled to hide their pain, others needed an outlet. Some vented to their friends while others could conceal it all.

You breathed in once again and put on a bright grin. With that, you headed outside to the start of the year speech.

The second semester had officially begun.

Question of the day: what's your favourite food?