Stranger Precariousness Part 2 (Willne)

How they shone in the artificial light of the library

***

Charlotte steadied her breathing as she made her way back to the library.

Why was she so nervous? She had kept everything to herself up until this point, why change that.

It was something to do with his eyes. They shone like the sun peering through a stain glass window, a minty green colour. She couldn't steer her eyes away.

Before she knew it, private 'embarrassing' things about her were revealed.

She held tightly to the strap of her bag, as she walked slowly up the stairs.

She internally cursed the teacher for not being in the learning coach, meaning she had to go the library.

She could hear his voice from a mile off, he was on the phone to someone. His laugh was so loud, so happy. Two things Charlotte used to be.

She made it to the top of the staircase, catching the attention of the boy. His face dropped a little, saying a quick goodbye and putting his phone away.

She breathed in deeply one more time, before opening the door. He smiled, watching her walk over to her seat.

He stretched back, un-zipping his bag and pulling out a book. The book that he had flung over his shoulder only 1 hour ago.

"I uh, I didn't know what page you were on, sorry about that"

She smiled, shaking her head. She took it out of his grasp, placing it on top of the table. She flicked the pages with her fingers while awkward silence filled the air.

She could tell Will was trying to string up a conversation, stopping himself before he asked the wrong questions.

She reddened, embarrassment coursing through her body. She brought her arms in, confining in herself. She bit her lip, looking up at him. He sighed.

"I'm not going to tell anyone"

He promised, throwing her the softest smile he could.

"Thank you"

She whispered, fiddling with the ends of her hair. He copied his previous actions, walking over to her and sitting directly in front. He made a power movie by reaching out and placing her hands in his.

"You don't have to feel embarrassed Charlotte"

She sighed, shrugging her shoulders.

"I can't help it, it's not exactly something to be proud of"

He looked down, biting his lip, the two pairs of hands still connected.

"Look, I know me and you aren't the closest"