Red Letter Thrills Part 1 (Willne)

As the two doors close, the charm was no longer the main issue

***

Anika's 16th birthday rolled around on the 27th of April, a Tuesday.

And while she hated the idea of celebrating her birthday on a school day, at least she would get to see her friends.

One of the gifts she had received, was a charm for her bracelet. A small heart, the word Friendship indented into it. She added the charm to her chain and swiftly packed her bag ready for school.

She had been woken up that morning, by a lit birthday cake, the words 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' and '16' iced on top. Deciding not to eat birthday cake first thing, she simply smiled, said thank you, and began her day.

When she arrived at school, she was welcomed with an array of birthday cards. She opened them throughout reg, smiling and thanking everyone who had wished her happy birthday.

"Not gonna wish her happy birthday Will?"

Amber questioned, the only person yet to wish her on her happy day. Will scoffed and shook his head, earning an eye roll from the birthday girl.

Will and Anika had a complicated relationship. Throughout year 7, the two didn't really acknowledge each other's existence, it wasn't until year 8 when the academics changed, did they cross paths.

At first, the two were kind of friends. She was casual friends with a boy she went to primary school with, who just so happened to be best friends with Will. So whenever she would talk to him, Will would be there.

They weren't the best of friends, but they could stand being around each other and had shared a few conversations.

That was until one night when the class group chat became the most active it had ever been.

The event started with a question.

'Does anyone know where I can fine the ICT work?'

This then snowballed. While the first few responses were what she asked for, the boys in the class decided it was time to take the piss. Calling the girls teachers pets and making fun of a few of the girls physical features.

Anika hade made one off hand comment about one of the boys' recent break up. This boy being William Lenney.

And let's just say he didn't take to this nicely. This opened the flood gates of insults. The two coming out mentally battered and bruised.

The want for the petty victory, caused the two to continue their fight. Always biting back and never backing down.

Until one comment about Anika's home life, pushed her over the edge.

'Well at least I go home to a loving family'

While the insult seems plain, it was the meaning behind it that upset her deeply.