Substandard Objective (Wroetoshaw)

I can't help but cry

I can't help but cry. There he goes, my best friend. To someone who Wasn't me.

***

Thea's  POV

I remember when we shared our first kiss. We were both 16 and drunk as fuck. We had both snuck into a nightclub together for my birthday. We were trying to recover from our intense dance session. We were both laughing our arses off. The laughter died down, and it ended up with us, looking longingly into each others eyes. Without hesitation, we both leaned in and connected our lips. It wasn't a long kiss, it lasted for about 6 seconds. I remember it like it was yesterday. I don't think he does though. I would've been willing to start something. In fact, it was something I had been waiting for, for about 5 years.

I could bare look at him. Smiling sweetly to his new wife. We had been called by the clank of a spoon on the side of a glass.

"And now for the speeches"

The part I had been dreading all night. As Harry's best friend, I was obliged to write one. I shook as I stood up.

"Harry, Your friendship has brought glorious technicolor to my life. lt's been there even in the darkest of times and I am the luckiest person alive for that gift"

I could see Harry looking at me, with a teary smile on his face.

"I hope I didn't take it for granted. I think maybe I did. Because sometimes you don't see that the best thing that ever happened to you is sitting there, right under your nose".

Why didn't I say anything sooner. That could've been me up there, marrying the love of my life.

"And thats fine too. lt really is. Because I've realized that no matter where you are, or what you're doing, or who you're with...
I will always, honestly, truly, completely, love you"

The tears were rolling and I couldn't help but throw him a smile I thought I would never throw. A smile at a happily taken man.

꧁time skip꧂

The dance music started playing and I needed air. I ran out of the reception, and hid behind a white wall. I notice a door, with the word 'roof' afixed to it. I skipped to the door and began my climb up the spiral stairs. I arrived at the top and walked along the roof top. I sat, somewhat out of breath, staring at the city below.

"THEA?"

I hear, coming from the previously shut door. I look around, and see my best friends, looking gorgeous in his navy suit and tie. He looks around for a few seconds, before locking his eyes with mine.

"There you are. Why did you go? I was gonna ask you to dance"

I didn't know what to say.

"Sorry, I uh, I just needed some air"

I said, while picking at my nails. Which is an obvious sign I was lying.

"You've never been a good liar Thee"

I looked up at him as he looked down at me, from his standing position. I smiled, wanting to change the subject.

"I uh, forgot to say, you look lovely in the suit. I knew you would go with the navy, I'm glad you didn't go with the rouge. Doesn't suit you like this one doe-"

I was cut off by Harry grabbing my hands.

"Please tell me I haven't made a mistake"

I look up into his eyes.

"What do you mean?"

Harry sighed and pulled me up.

"Please tell me I haven't married the wrong person"

I froze, I could tell him he had, and we could run out of the building and be together. But I couldn't do that to his wife. She would be distraught.

"You can't say this now, you've been married for less than a day"

"I can't help but think I have Thea"

"Don't say that Harry. Lindsey is sweet and kind and smart and-"

"But she isn't you"

Harry interrupted. Holding tighter onto my hands.

"Please Thea, please tell me I've made a mistake"

I looked down at his Twain shoes. He placed his hand under my chin and raised it.

"Harry, you've made a mistake"

His eyes widened. I could see a slight smile appear on it. He goes to open his mouth, but I cut him off.

"But it's too late"

I see his smile instantly sink.

"Your married, to lovely girl none the less. Why didn't you tell me this sooner?"

I started to raise my voice a little.

"How could you leave it till now, to tell me this. You've had every opportunity to tell me this, but you had to wait until after you had gotten married. That's not fair on me, that's not fair on you and most of all, that's not fair on Lindsey. It's too late for us"

How dare he?

"Please don't say that Thea"

My tears were streaming. I looked him in the eyes. The eyes I had fallen so madly in love with. My body took over and I flung myself at him. My lips crashed with his and my hands rested on either side of her face. His hands latched to my waist and he instantly reciprocated. The kiss was lustful. I had been waiting to do this since we were 11 years old. It was just as I had imagined. His lips were plump and soft. Perfect. I felt him bite down on my lip. And as much as I loved him, I had to pull away.

We were both out of breath. A smile planted on my lips, his the same. I quickly realised what I had done, and what I needed to do.

"Let's just leave it at that Harry, at least for the time being"

"You can't just do that Thea. You can't just kiss me and tell me to leave it"

"I'm sorry Harry, I'm sorry"

I quickly run towards the door, without looking back. I run towards my coat and bag. I make my way to Lindsey.

"Congratulations, and I'm sorry"

With that, I speed walk out the entrance and run towards the car. I break down in tears and start up the car. I look out my rear view mirror  and see Harry running out of the building.

"THEA, THEA WAIT!"

I just keep driving.

***

Thanks for reading pals, hope you enjoyed. The speech she made in the beginning is from the movie 'Love Rosie' so you can go watch that film if ya like.

(Edit: about 6 months after starting this book 😎)
This wasn't my first imagine for this book, it's actually the next one, which I thought wasn't good to have as my 'opener' if you will, cause it isn't my best. The first few stories, I think there're okay, but the more you read, hopefully you find that they are better. So, don't loose hope just based on first stories. Thanks lads 👍🏻)

Any suggestions, leave below. Upvote because you're all legendary.

That's all for now.

Bye-bye

🤙💛Xx