Proletariat Part 1 (Willne)

Poor girl

Poor girl. Poor poor girl.

***

1927

Penny's POV

Money for me? Scarce. My family is what you could call 'scum'. I've spent my life, serving at the Lenney Manor. I started working as just a cutlery washer, but soon I started cleaning dishes, pots and pans, anything kitchen appliance. As soon as I turned 12, I started cleaning rooms. And ever since then, I've been waiting hand and foot for the Lenney's.

I was sitting in the downstairs kitchen, eating my morning cereal. This was the 20 minutes of peace I had, before the bloody bell started to wring. Making the oldest maid, Sally, drop her glass bowl onto the floor, the smash startling us all. We all groaned, knowing who it was. Will.

He was the youngest son out of the Lenny's and the only one I despise. He's whinny, big headed and too opinionated. Today however, is unfortunately the day that I serve him. Me and the rest of the maids have a roter. And every Wednesday, it's my turn.

"Good luck my love"

Sally said, while cleaning up the smashed glass. I threw her a smile and made my way up the tall, wide staircase. I admired the paintings on the floor. Painting of the past Masters of the Manor. All the way up until I land on Will's farther. My smile instantly dropped, all I could think about was the fact that Will, at some point, is going to be the Master. And with the way my life is going, I'm gonna see it up close.

I arrived at the large door, the plaque, reading 'William'. I hesitated, but knocked.

"COME IN!"

I hear Will's voice boom through the door. I roll my eyes and slowly open the door. I enter his gigantic room, to find Will sat on his silk bench, underneath his windowsill. He sat there holding 2 pairs of dancing shoes.

"Yes sir?"

I ask softly. He stands up and walks over to his marble table and places the shoes on top of it.

"What was the crash downstairs?"

"Uh, Sally dropped one of the bowls on the floor when the bell rung, I think it just startled her"

I replied. Will just rolled his eyes.

"I've been meaning to talk to my farther about her. Should of got her fired months ago"

I managed to hold in another eye roll.

"It wasn't her fault. She was just startled by the bell"

I argued, hoping it didn't come out like I was biting back. Will once again rolled his eyes.

"Don't try and defend her, Penny"

I go to answer, but the sound of the door opening, stopped me from retaliating.