~Rivals~ (HaruHwan 2/2)

It was past 3rd quarter, Junghwan was still not there. One more quarter, and judging by how Haruto’s team was playing, they would barely win. Even so, Haruto wanted to see Junghwan watching him play, desperately.

After the semi-final, Haruto invited Junghwan to a meal as an apology for hurting him during the game. And to his wonder, he discovered a new side of his rival that day. He came to know how innocent, righteous and kind Junghwan actually is. His thoughts, his point of view made Haruto realize that kindness can resolve everything. Haruto loved the time they spent together so much that he invited Junghwan to come and watch the final match. Junghwan replied with “I'll try.”

Not much of assurance, but Haruto hoped for the younger to come.

But even after the 3rd quarter, Junghwan didn’t arrive. Haruto was so distracted and disheartened that he missed a shot. Their team were already lagging, so it was a big loss. The audience made a disappointing noise and Haruto’s heart filled with regret.

This time the player who was guarding Haruto wasn’t that strong, so, Haruto went past him and scored back-to-back 4 points. His team seemed to regain hope.

“Haruto, you can do it!” they cheered. Haruto’s focus increased and he tried hard to score more points.

Right when Haruto scored another 2 pointers, the other team sought for a time out, to strategize.

Panting, Haruto went near his teammates. Mashiho inspired everyone. The coach instructed the forward guard players, but Haruto glanced at the audience in the meantime.

And his mouth formed a huge grin when he made an eye contact with his rival come friend who actually showed up for him. Junghwan smiled and showed him thumbs up from the corner of the crowd. Haruto felt happy for an unknown reason.

The match continued and Junghwan cheered for Haruto. Haruto actually played well. All of his teammates tried hard to score as much as they could. They played like their lives depended on it.

But they were lagging behind too much from the beginning, and trying in the last few minutes didn’t cut it.

So, Haruto’s team lost. The glorious title of being the Champions for their final tournament didn’t belong to Haruto’s team. That made him sad. Somehow regretful because he really wanted to win.

After all the formalities, as Haruto had his head hung low, someone tapped him from behind. Haruto looked back and saw Junghwan.

“You played so well, Haruto! Don’t be sad over the outcome.” Junghwan gave him a small smile. Haruto unknowingly smiled back.

Suddenly Haruto didn’t want to go back home or go hang out with the team. Rather, his mind longed for a little hangout with Junghwan.

So, he took his leave from the team and went near Junghwan.

“I'm sorry I didn’t show you a good result.” Haruto said, laughing bitterly. Junghwan immediately disagreed.

“Haruto, I'm still awestruck by how you play. Please, don’t sulk over the result. I know you’re so cool with your skills already!” Junghwan assured.

“Says the one who makes me useless.” Haruto laughed. He had no hard feelings over the match between them. Rather, he started admiring Junghwan’s skill.

“Haruto! How about we teach each other ways to beat ourselves?” Junghwan’s eyes lit up, “Like I can teach you how to break free from my guard, and you can teach me how to shoot well, deal?”

Haruto looked at Junghwan. He hesitated a bit, because he didn’t want to disclose his techniques. Even though their school tournaments ended, what if in future they get to play against each other? Would it be smart to spill out your secrets?