Chapter 5

His eyes studied me, his gaze lingering on my hazel eyes and then on my red lips. And slowly, I could see his face flicker with amusement as recognition dawned upon him.

I gulped anxiously, tightening my fingers around the straps of my handbag. In that moment I knew I had ruined everything. Not just for me but also for the chief.

Seeing my frightened face Ian cocked his head to the side, giving me a small lop sided smirk.

Daniel stepped forward. "Didn't Mr. Kingston fire you-" But Ian raised his hand, cutting him off.

Still wearing that amused smirk on his lips, he stepped back, giving me space to walk in. But being unable to grasp his intentions clearly, I stayed glued there, staring back at him.

Ian raised a questioning brow and I bit my lip in jitter. I didn't want to be the cause of his anger at the moment so hesitantly, I stepped inside and the elevator doors closed behind me.

Now I stood face to face with the most handsome bachelor billionaire of NYC, Ian Kingston. He had that appearance of a one who sees right through your heart and would take your soul away without a word.

And just like that, I couldn't move. I couldn't lift a single finger up. I stayed frozen on the spot, staring deep into his blue eyes.

And then my breath hitched as he leaned down, his face only inches away from mine, his breath fanning against my soft cheeks. He pinned his hand to the wall beside me and my eyes widened in shock.

What's happening?

He wrenched his gaze away from mine to something on the side and then only did I realise he was pressing the elevator button to his floor.

I blushed. My gosh did I really romanticize our positions when he just leaned down to press the button?

Feeling embarassed I quickly turned around and raised my hand up to press the button to the marketing floor but Ian's hand came over mine and he did it for me.

As he did, his fingers touched mine and I felt a shiver run up my spine. I quickly retrieved my hand and blushed in all possible shades of red.

Shit.

Muttering a curse under my breath, I moved to the side, far away from him. But I could still see him watching me and the way he was looking like I was some kind of amusing creature - Gosh! I could shrink into a thin particle of air.

Daniel was scowling and I knew exactly why. I defied his boss, I tricked him. And now I fear the consequences.

I knew I would lose the job, that's for sure. But the chief? What will he do to him? The chief has a family. He has children!

The elevator bell dinged and it's doors opened. Standing on the other side were Lexi and Brian.

"Hey Hailey" Lexi grinned. "I saw someone similar-" Her smile fell and her expression turned into utter horror. Brian's jaw fell to the floor and he looked at the man beside me in complete astonishment.

I cleared my throat and walked out like nothing happened. But on the inside, I was in a turmoil. My god, what am going to do? Shit shit shit.

And when I heard the elevator doors close behind me, I collapsed to the floor.

"Hailey!!!" Lexi screamed in panic. "What the hell just happened?"

"I want to die" I sniffled and leaned my back on the cold hard floor. "I can't-" I swallowed rest of the words, still not believing what happened seconds ago.

"Hailey" Brian said. "How did it happen? I mean, why the hell did he arrive early?"

"I can cry right now" I said as I stared at the ceiling above me.

"Shit" Lexi folded her arms above her head and started pacing around. "What do we do now?"

Brian leaned on the wall and closed his eyes, trying to calm himself down. "I think I'm going to have a panic attack"

The other elevator opened and a group people came out. They gave me weird looks and some even walked over me.

"Look at me! I've been stepped over" I cried. "No one cares for me"

"Stop being so dramatic. What are we going to do now?"

"First cry then-" I breathed. "hand over the resignation letter"

"Do you think it's so simple now that you got caught for deceiving the CEO?"

"I just hiccuped" I whined.

"It's more than a hiccup now. Go and talk to the chief"

I sat straight. "I can't put him in more trouble"

"You already put him in more trouble" Lexi gave me a pointed look. "Now up on your feet" She ordered and I warily stood up.

I followed her to the chief's room and on our way there, we saw many people sitting on the chairs of either sides of the hallway.

"What's going on?" I asked Lexi.

"Today is the interview to select a new secretary for the chief"

"Great" I sighed. "If I get the chief fired then I'm also gonna get the new secretary fired"

"Executives don't get fired that easily" Brian grumbled. "But he'll be in great trouble. And you on the other hand-" He looked at me. "will be wiped off the face of the earth"

"Aww thanks for the sweet words Brian" I said sarcastically.

Lexi knocked on the chief's door.

"Come in"

We walked inside and the chief looked up with a smile. "What brings you children here?"

"Hailey got caught" Lexi said and I looked at her in disbelief.

"Don't say it so straight forward" I hissed.

"Shut up" Lexi hissed back.

The chief pursed his lips into a thin line and signed heavily. "Well we can't do anything now" He leaned back on his chair. "We just have to wait for the consequences"

"I'm sorry chief"

"It's all right. You can't hide from him forever. Did he recognise you?"

"I think so" I shrugged. "He smiled"

"He smiled?" Chief asked me in shock.

I narrowed my eyes. "Well I think it's a smirk but-"

"Jesus! You are in great trouble Hailey"

"How am I in trouble?" I asked in confusion. "I mean I'm already in trouble. But you know what I mean-"

"When Ian Kingston reacts to you that means you are in grave danger"

I blinked. "Right. I just have quickly hand over my resignation letter right?" I nodded to myself. "Yeah that's it. Gotta go" I turned on my heel. "and sorry chief"

I sprinted out the door and raced to my desk. I quickly turned on my computer and began typing my resignation letter.

With my work experience and my qualifications I might find another good job. Not as high paying as this but at least I wouldn't have to hide and feel guilty all the time

"Are you really quitting?" Lexi came and asked in shock.

"Do I have a choice? I don't want to get on the bad side of a freaking CEO. I've heard enough stories to know how dangerous it can be. And-" I pounded on my chest. "a hard working employee like me can get a job anywhere. I'm not boasting but you know what I mean-"

"Hailey" Our VP called and I looked up.

"Yes ma'am"

She was staring weirdly at the telephone on top of her desk, almost uncertain of it's entire purpose. "M-Mr. Kingston wants to speak to you personally"

She glanced up. "What the hell did you do Hailey?"

Next update:- 30/4/21