Chapter 20

"Your mom?"

"I'd be disrespecting the devil if I call her the she devil"

"Then who?" I raised a brow.

"Someone worse" Ian opened the car door for me to get in. "At least for me"

As I climbed on to the passenger seat, he closed the door and walked around the car, climbing in from the other side.

"What do you mean for you?" I asked as I put on my seat belt.

Ian started the engine and rotated the steering wheel with one hand, pulling the car out of the convention center. "It means the person who we are going to meet hates me more than anything in this entire world"

"Really?" I grinned. "I'll be good friends with that person"

"That's my worst fear" Ian muttered and stretched his arm to my side, opening the glove compartment in front of me. He then took his shades out and put them on as we got to the road.

"It's a four hour ride. Sleep if you want to"

I gaped at him. "Four hours? It'll be late when we come back!"

"Mmm" Ian nodded, his gaze still fixed on the road.

"Why are you taking me? You could have gone alone" I asked in a frustrated tone but Ian ignored my question and continued to drive, pretending not to hear me.

"Wait" I narrowed my eyes and turned to face him with a dead serious gaze. "Are you taking me because you're afraid to meet that person alone?"

At that Ian's face hardened, his grip on the steering wheel tightening till his knuckles turned white.

My eyes widened. "A-are you serious?" I asked in disbelief and when he didn't respond, a loud laugh escaped my lips, "Oh my god! You're really scared" I was shocked at my own words. "I didn't know there's a person who could make our big boy tremble in his pants" I chuckled and playfully smacked his arm.

Ian scowled but didn't say anything.

"Omg! I can't wait to meet that person. I'm so excited" I clapped in anticipation.

"Just sleep" Ian grunted in irritation.

"Okie dokie" I grinned sheepishly and leaned back on the seat, closing my eyes shut.

"By the way, don't you dare kidnap me"

...

"Hailey" I felt a tender touch on my cheek, knuckles brushing against my skin. "Hailey wake up" A soft thumb trailed along my jawline and I sighed contently, leaning into the warm touch.

Someone let out a soft melodic laugh and I sleepily fluttered my eyes open, curious to know whose voice was that.

As I opened them, I saw Ian Kingston, leaning towards me with a small smile spread across his lips. "We've arrived"

He gave me one last stroke on the cheek and pulled back, climbing out of the car. Still in a daze, I blinked several times, trying to figure out where I was and what misfortune brought me here but before I could do that, Ian opened my door from outside.

"Where are we?" I asked in confusion.

"You'll see" Ian grabbed my arm and carefully pulled me out of the car, keeping his other hand on the car roof so that I would't hit my head on my way out.

As I landed on my two feet, I tilted my head up and looked around, scanning our surrounding.

We were standing outside a small stone front house with a neatly cut lawn and a granite driveway. Several bright light bulbs were illuminating the front porch defeating the darkness of the night sky looming above us. The street had an eerie silence, not even a dog making any sound. Only the trees swayed, the leaves rustling as a soft wind blew past us.