Chapter 53

I felt myself being dragged across a damp ground, my knees scraping on the gravel. In the distance I could hear some muffle sounds but around me it was utter silence, save for the footsteps crunching on what seemed to be dried leaves.

My face fell flat on the damp ground and I groaned slightly, my own voice hoarse and muffled as if something was tied around my mouth. I groaned again and slightly opened my eyes. My vision was momentarily blurred but it quickly adjusted to the darkness around me.

Darkness? In confusion I tilted my head up and found myself lying on the forest floor.

Panic surged through me and I jerked up but went toppling back to the forest floor. I glanced down at myself to see what was wrong and then saw that both my feet and my hands were tied and my mouth gagged.

"You're finally awake" A hoarse voice said above me.

My blood froze in my veins. Slowly I looked up and saw Leonard, Ian's father standing above me with a gun in his hand.

My belly cramped with fear.

His mouth twisted into a smirk and he crouched down. "For someone who had the audacity to open my safe" He ran his gun down my cheek. "You cower like a little mouse" He chuckled.

"Did you think I'd allow someone like you to destroy me?" He pressed the cold metal to my throat and I squeezed my eyes shut. "To take everything away from me? Did you plan on rousing the media to throw me out of the chairman position? Was that your plan?" He spat.

He trailed the gun lower and I whimpered. "Well it would have worked but you'd have to live to do that first"

My face blanched and I glanced up at him. A sly smirk spread in his lips. "That's right. You're going to die"

He raised me to my knees and gripped my chin, forcing me to look at the direction of the lake. "My friend's grandson told me you can't swim" He gave a malicious smile. "Let's see how long you can survive in the water"

Terror stabbed my heart and I wriggled under his grip, trying to free myself but it only angered him more. "Damn you bitch" He elbowed my face and a sharp pain shot up my nose and I felt blood drip down.

"I like to very much shoot you and be done with it" He hissed. "But that would cause a lot of drama and investigations and I don't want anymore damages to the company. So you'll just peacefully drown and I'll make your death look like an accident" He grinned. "How's that? The little fiance wandering in the woods accidentally slip and fell to the lake. How sad" He pouted.

Tears brimmed in my eyes and his grin widened. "No one can challenge my position darling. Both my sons did. One unfortunately wasn't privileged like the other but you" He tapped his gun on my forehead. "are nothing and soon will be forgotten by everyone. Shame that you have distanced yourself from the Evans family. Heard they're bit of a powerful lot in the law field"

Then he started dragging me towards the lake. Tears pooled down my eyes but I couldn't even manage to wriggle under his strong grip, not when my hands and my feet were tied.

"Ian would be better off a cheating bitch like you. You think he cares for you just because he brought you here?" He laughed. "He's my son for a reason. Just like Nathan, who didn't care about Lauren when he fell in love with Alice. That's why she had to seek solace somewhere else. Shame that I didn't know she recorded everything. That was a mistake. It could end up ruining my career but" He smirked. "Not if no one knows. Let's get this-" He was cut off as we heard a twig snap behind us.

I whirled around as the best as I could.

"Hailey" Ian's voice was heard not far away from where I was and a sob of relief escaped my lips.