Chapter 32

"Why are you both wearing a long face today?" Lexi asked while tapping on her keyboard.

Brian sighed. "A woman left me"

"What does that supposed to mean?"

"You know, whenever I have a one night stand I always leave before the girl wakes up but last night-" He took a deep breath, his lips trembling. "She left me"

"Ha. Good. You manwhore needs to be taught a lesson"

"I thought we were friends Lexi. I'm very disappointed in you" He exhaled and dramatically slid down his chair. "I can't seem to forget her. Her plush lips, her rosy cheeks, her fiery eyes, her hourglass body and her round breast-" Lexi smacked his head before he could continue.

"Shut up"

"Ouch" Brian rubbed the back of his head. "You don't have to be so violent you know?"

"What's going over there?" VP shouted from across the room and both Brian and Lexi hid their faces behind the computer screen.

It's been three days since my parents came and I had been avoiding Ian ever since. Thankfully he didn't yet notice because I'd been entertaining myself with my parents for the past few days but now that they have gone to visit grandma in Ohio I have no other excuse to use.

I knew that what Emma said was true. Ian had always used her to get closer to me so there was no progress between them. I understand that she needs the money desperately so her frustration is reasonable but I don't know how to help her. I can't leave the penthouse because then Ian have no reason to keep her. I can't leave his room either because then he will fire her. So my only option was to avoid him as much as possible.

But the worst thing is, I actually miss bickering with him, hanging out with him. It's like a part of me is torn apart. Have I finally gone mad?

"Evans" VP called and I looked up. "Give these reports to the general management"

"Okay ma'am" I stood up and took the files from her.

I reached the floor below Ian's and was walking through the hallway with my head bent low, lost in my own thoughts when I collided with a hard chest.

I glanced up to apologise but then my eyes widened, realising it was Ian.

"You've been avoiding me"

I was startled. "W-what? I didn't-"

"Don't lie" His hand reached out and gently stroked my chin. "Tell me what's wrong? Did I do something to anger you?"

"No no you didn't do anything. I just ummm... been busy with my parents"

"Is that the only reason?" He asked with concern etched on his face.

"Of course. Why else?" I chuckled drily.

Ian sighed. "Fine then let's go somewhere for dinner tonight"

"Uhh" I hesitated. Think of an excuse Hailey. Think of an excuse. "I'm working overtime today"

Ian's brows furrowed. "Why?"

"What do you mean why? To earn money of course"

"I'll give you that money. You don't have to work overtime"

"If I really needed your money I would have dragged you to the altar by now" I joked and Ian rolled his eyes.

"I'm serious"

"So am I"

"Is there anyway I can convince you out of it?"

I shook my head. "Nope"