Chapter 35

Sweat trickled down my forehead, fear engulfing me.

Melissa smirked and stood up, running towards the chairman who was busy answering to the reporters gathered around him.

Before Melissa could draw the attention of the reporters to me I quickly turned on my heel and dashed to the corner, hiding behind a tall pillar.

The reporters that had formed a circle around chairman pushed one another violently, trying to ask more questions but the security guards came quickly and blocked the reporters, clearing a path for the chairman to walk.

Chairman strode to the elevator with two of his secretaries and Melissa beside him. Only after the elevator doors close behind them did I come out of my hiding spot, exhaling in relief.

That was a close call.

All of the other elevators were blocked by the reporters so I sprinted in the opposite direction and threw open the door to the stairs. Even looking at them made me faintish. I could not possibly climb so many floors so I took the stairs to the second floor and from there I took the elevator to the marketing department.

As I reached I ran straight to my table and collapsed onto my chair, closing my eyes, panting for breath.

"Move these things. Move move move!" VP shouted orders and my eyes jerked open. I looked around and saw all of our employees running around as if their butts were on fire.

Lexi was placing file after file on each table and Alan was pasting sticky notes on the walls while two others drew fake plans on the whiteboard.

"Make it look like we're sacrificing our blood, sweat and tears to the company" VP cried out.

I scoffed. Is she serious right no-

"Evans!" VP screamed and I glanced up. "What are you doing there? Go and hang those motivational banners on the poles"

"Uh yes ma'am" I hastily stood up and dragged the banners out of our break room. As I was about to hang them, one of the CEO's staff came barging in.

The woman gasped seeing our mess but quickly recovering she turned her gaze to our VP. "Chairman is looking for Miss Hailey Evans"

I froze, terror sealing my body. Dread twisted in my guts. I'm dead for sure now.

"Hailey?" VP frowned.

"Yes"

VP glanced at me and motioned with her hand to come over and I reluctantly obeyed.

"Evans" She cupped my face in her hands, her eyes all serious. "You're the face of our department now" Woman, are you serious now? "If the chairman ask you about our campaign all you have to do is-"

"I'm pretty sure that's not why he is calling her" Alan said from across the room.

"Shut up Alan!" VP yelled and turned back to me, her face dead serious again. "All you have to do is be confident and answer like you run the world. Got it?"

I blinked. "Uh....yeah I...got it"

VP smiled and I almost had a heart attack seeing it. She never smiles. "Good" She patted my cheek. "Now go and make us proud"

I looked at her weirdly and followed the woman to the elevator, reaching the chairman's office. His room had been empty since his last visit, which was two years ago but I didn't see him that day so this was my first time meeting him but I was pretty sure he didn't call me to share pleasantries. He must be damn pissed because I wasn't the fiancé he wanted for his son.