Chapter 26

I tightened the coat around myself and waited for Emma at the entrance of the Prescott's at seven in the morning. "It's so cold" I muttered, my lips trembling.

"Ma'am you can stay inside the lobby" One of the security suggested.

"No thank you. I'll wait a little more" I smiled and turned my gaze back to the road.

Then I saw a five feet figure getting out of a taxi and approaching the entrance in a floral top and blue pants.

"Emma" I happily called and she waved at me.

"Good morning Hailey"

"Good morning Emma. Let's get you registered shall we?" She nodded and we walked towards a table at the end of the lobby.

After my little break-in, the security in here had been tightened. Ian had asked for the security guards to be fired but Mr. Prescott who's a good man unlike Ian, had transferred them to another Prescott's apartment complex. The new guards we have now looked more like robots than humans. And it has been made compulsory to hand over a copy of all your documents starting from your birth certificate to your bank details. Then if the documents are proved to be legitimate the security will make you go through a finger print scan and a face recognition before entering you to the system. I know, they went extra thanks to me.

"There's not enough money in your bank account" The woman behind the desk said to Emma. "So we will have to search you every evening before you left to see if you stole anything"

I scowled. "Do you have to go that far?"

"That's the protocol Miss Evans"

"Fine fine whatever. Now register her quickly"

The woman shot me a glare but did as I told. After it was done we took the elevator and reached Ian's penthouse.

I opened it's door and Emma suddenly gasped.

"This is where I'll be working?"

"Mmm" I nodded.

"It's so beautiful" She ran straight to the glass window and stared at the city below in awe. "Is the view better at night?"

"Yeah much better" I smiled. It was a saturday and neither Ian nor I will be going to work. So today was the perfect day for them to get to know each other.

Emma opened her mouth to ask another question but suddenly turned around as she heard footsteps descending down the staircase. 

Ian came down barefoot in a black hoodie and black sweatpants, his phone dangling in his hands. Seeing Emma his pace slowed, a frown curling in his lips.

"Who are you?"

Emma's eyes widened. "I-I'm Emma Nelson. The n-new housemaid" She stuttered and anxiously looked down.

Ian's narrowed gaze fell on me but my eyes were fixed on his outfit. I mean, which billionaire gives the first impression in a hoodie and sweats? I scoffed. I should have told him to wear a suit. Ahh my first chapter ruined!

"Care to explain?" Ian asked pulling me out of my daze.

"What?"

He folded his arms across his chest and raised a brow.

"Oh the housemaid, ah yes. I asked you yesterday and you told me to do as I please"

Ian opened his mouth to argue but then closed it back, remembering what he said yesterday. His jaw tightened, his expression hardening and he shot me a glare before striding towards the couch and sitting on it.