Chapter 54

"The chairman of ATC, Leonard Kingston's first trial will be held tomorrow on 8th of September one the charges of attempted murder of Hailey Evans and his own son Ian Kingston" The reporter continues. "The police are also investigating the possibility of Nathan Kingston's death being a murder after the shocking video that was revealed recently and hence has placed Leonard Kingston as the prime suspect"

The screen changes into a video of people gathered around the SBS headquarters, throwing rocks at it, demanding for an apology. "The public are enraged at the SBS news channel for alternating the truth and creating a scandal that led to a misleading of the investigation of Nathan Kingston's death. Several police also faces charges for bribery and the director of SBS, Mark Wood faces charges for tampering with evidences. Today we have attorney Allison Evans here with us to talk about the case. She also happens to be a relative of one of the victims-" I scowled and turned off the TV.

"What? Turn it on" Ian said from where he lies on the couch, his head on my lap.

"I don't like her"

"So what? Turn it on"

I frowned. "What do you mean so what? I don't like her. End of conversation"

"Then switch it into another channel"

I sighed and turned on the TV, switching it to another channel. In there also another one of my cousins, Josh Evans was talking with the reporter.

I cursed and quickly turned it off.

Ian chuckled. "Your mom is leading the battalion, I presume"

"Hmm. Seems like it. She's dragging down Isaac too"

"Good. That fucker deserves it"

"Yep"

I leaned back on the couch and ran a hand through Ian's hair, softly caressing it but my eyes darted to the bandage wrapped around his stomach underneath the shirt. My heart started aching again. Just today morning Ian was discharged from the hospital. He was supposed to be discharged earlier but I insisted he stay another week, in case something happened to him. And he didn't argue either because he knew how worried I was for him.

That day in the forest, it still haunts me. It gives me nightmares and I had spent days crying in the hospital bathroom while we were there. But I hid it all from Ian. I had to be strong for him. I didn't show him my tears because I knew if I did, he'd be worried about me.

Just the mere thought of losing him, it wrecks me. That few seconds I thought he was gone I felt myself dragged into a darkness, a darkness that frightened me more than anything. And that darkness was a world without him, a life without him and I didn't want it.

He was my everything and I couldn't even bear to see him slightly hurt and to see him almost dead, it tore me.

Ian noticed my gaze and sighed. He slowly sat upright and looked at me.

"Hailey" He said softly. His hand reached out and wiped a tear on my cheek that I didn't know had fallen. "You think I don't know that you cried everyday while we were in the hospital?"

My eyes widened in surprise and Ian stroked my cheek. "I wanted to talk to you about it Hailey but you hid it from me for a reason. So I didn't press you"

My throat bobbed and I looked down, unable to meet his gaze. But Ian tilted my head up and cupped my face with both of his hands. His eyes bore into mine, a saddened expression on his face. "I'm not gone Hailey, I'm here with you"

At those words a sob broke from my lips. "But you almost did Ian" More tears fell down my eyes. "You almost left me"

His eyes softened and he kissed a tear on my cheek. "But I didn't. That's what matter"