CHAPTER 5

HARRY STYLES

I ran down the hall, my feet wanting to run faster than my body would allow. I neared Carli's room, a grin on my face. My heart was beating faster and faster at the thought of being able to see Carli for the first time in months. I slowly walked into the cold room that was hers, my eyes falling on my love sitting up slightly in her bed. There was several more tubes running from her already fragile body, her hair matted messily against her head. Her swollen hands resting beside her, Carli's chest heaving up and down from the short breaths she was taking. Carli's eyes were glued to Zayn who was talking softly to her, no words coming out of her cracked lips.

"There she is." I cooed softly, my smile growing bigger. Carli's head turned in my direction, her gaze meeting mine. Her lifeless eyes brightened up, tears glossing them over and spilling down her bruised covered cheeks. I quickly walked to her side, planting several small kisses around her face. "I missed you so much." I whispered in her ear as I kissed it. Carli tried to talk, but only hoarse croaking was to be heard. 

"Carli, please. You remember what the doctor said." Zayn said, watching us closely. Carli turned once again to him, lifting up her hand and weakly waving him off with a flick. Zayn smiled softly, his gaze turning towards me. "Her doctor needs to talk to you before you leave today, he wanted me to tell you."

"Okay." I nodded my head, listening. I was beyond happy that Carli was awake, her beautiful eyes opening to the world around her for the first time in several agonizingly painful months. Was she feeling okay?

A painful whimper escaped her lips, soft cries following. I looked down at her worried, my shaking hands clutching her pillow tightly to fix it.

"Pain." Carli managed to whisper, pointing to her head and body. I quickly nodded and pressed the nurse button with my long finger. Several moments passed until a woman walked in wearing blue scrubs and a hospital badge.

Her face was colored with annoyance, her lips squeezed together in an ugly manner. "Yes?"

"My girlfriend here is in pain. Could you please go get her some more pain killers?" I asked the cranky woman, ignoring the fact she was quite rude. 

"I'm sorry to upset you sir, but I just gave her some-"

"I don't care about that." I said, cutting her off. "You obviously didn't give her enough medication if she's in this state of feeling. So please go do your job right and do what I ask."

Her eyes slitted in an evil glare, her jaw clenching tightly. Her hands pulled into fists as she turned on her heels and stormed out of the room. I chuckled with Zayn at my reaction, my laughs stopping shortly as I saw Carli's glare she was sending to me. I closed my mouth shut, looking down as I played with the sheets.

CARLI

The pain was beyond what I ever imagined it would be, my body feeling as if I got hit by a bus several times. I squeezed my eyes shut, the pain slightly going dim. Sadly, it came back as I opened my eyes and looked down at my swollen hands. I hated how I looked at this moment. Sure, I knew I wouldn't be looking as if I was walking the red carpet, but I didn't know I was beaten up so badly like this. I didn't dare move, for I knew that it would bring on unwanted feelings. I watched silently as Harry and Zayn interacted with each other and I was amazed how they were being so.. friendly to one another. I guess while I was asleep they talked through their issues. 

The doctor, which I heard him talk to Zayn, said that I was out for several months. To me it didn't seem like that amount of time, only a day really. I looked over at Harry and studied his breathtaking features. Dark bags were under his eyes, the stubble of a short beard coming through his skin. He looked beyond tired, was it my fault?

Oh of course it was.

I knew that he wasn't himself while I was in a coma, I hope that now I'm healing everything will go back to normal. The nurse walked back into my room as she carried a clear small bag of some liquid, her feet carrying her to my side. Her hands reached up and took away the empty bag that looked the same, switching it for the new one. A cold liquid went through my veins and I was surprised when a fuzziness came over me, the pain slowly fizzling to a dull throb. I looked over at the woman, sending her the best smile I could get myself to give.

The woman didn't smile back, her gaze glaring at Harry. She stormed out after that, Harry's smirk growing bigger at how his ego was growing. I rolled my eyes, turning my gaze to the glass window that was beside me. My stomach rumbled, my hunger making it known to the two of them. I blushed slightly, looking sideways at Harry. He didn't seem at all bothered though, his smile not wavering.

"Zayn, can you go get Carli something to eat from the cafe downstairs?"

Zayn nodded as he got up, grabbing Harry's card that he was offering. Zayn walked out, leaving us alone.

"I love you." Harry softly said, brushing his lips against my cheek.

"Ah, Mr. Styles you are a tricky man to find!" A deep voice said. I turned, my eyes getting the appearance of my older doctor. His smile was warm as he looked over his glasses at Harry. Does that mean Harry never visited me while I wasn't awake? I let down my shoulders slightly, knowing that he was probably working while I was laying here fighting for my life. 

"Well, I'm here. How are you?" Harry asked as he sat down on a chair that was sitting down by my bed.

"I'm great! I have, well, I have good and also bad news about Carli." His eyes fell on me, his smile growing wider. "Oh my, you are indeed a strong fighter. You were such a champ." His aged hands clutched his clipboard tightly as he sat down on an empty chair. 

Was I?

"Bad news?" Harry looked as if he was going to crack from all of this bad news. 

"Yes. That. Carli woke up earlier than expected, so she will have a longer more painful process to becoming to the spot of perfection."

"So what will that mean for her?"

"Taking it easy for several months, using a wheelchair and crutches, not going on a plane since her lungs are weak and having to go to Physical Therapy several times a month."

Oh boy..

"Oh that isn't so bad, right babe?" Harry looked at me, his eyes searching mine. Easy for you to say, Harry. 

I nodded, though I wasn't happy that I had to go through that. Wasn't fighting for my life enough? Apparently not. The doctor talked for several moments to Harry, Harry nodding as he soaked in this new important information. Zayn walked in with a food plate, my stomach rumbling in anticipation. 

Was life going to become normal for me?

Or not?