CHAPTER 8

CARLI

It had been several days since my doctor told me that I was able to go home. To my dismay I was still stuck in this room with nothing to do, except listen to Harry banter on about how unhappy he is to see me still here.

"Why can't the doctors just suck it up and send you home?" Harry huffed, turning to me. "Do they all think I'm incapable of helping you? Do you think I can't?"

I looked up slightly from my book, glancing over at Harry. "I think you're capable."

"Then tell them! Tell them that I can-"

"Good morning." My doctors voice rang, cutting Harry off from his rant. Harry looked over at the man, nodding slightly in his direction. "I have the papers to sign you away."

"Sign her away?" Harry scowled. It was another one of the doctors dry jokes, again.

"So she can go home." He explained as he noticed we didn't get it. Harry smiled wide, grabbing the crisp white papers the doctor was handing to him. Grabbing a pen from his pocket, Harry busied himself with work. I sat there, shutting my book as I packed my stuff away in a tote bag. A nurse came in and helped me with things I couldn't do myself- take out my IV's, helping me change into comfortable clothes. My outfit was simple, sweatpants and a white shirt that was Harry's. My body was still swelled, my feet not being able to fit in my shoes. I silently cursed as I watched the nurse slip on some fuzzy socks on my cold feet, why was she not fazed with my body?

"If you're wondering, it's because I see this stuff everyday." The woman smiled warmly at me, patting my hand softly. "Don't worry Hun, you'll be back to normal soon."

"I hope so, I really do." The nurse walked out as Harry handed the papers back to the doctor.

"Here."

"Thank you son. Now, remember what I told you-"

"I know. Be careful and treat her as if she'll break." Harry repeated for the last time. His temper was raising, and I knew he needed to get out of here. I squeezed his hand softly as the woman came back with a wheelchair, a smile on her face.

-

"Ouch." I muttered at Harry as he carried me to his house. Since he didn't have enough time to find a house, we were stuck with living with his parents. Harry had told me he was thinking of putting us in the lake house, which I didn't object to. I felt bad for imposing in on Ron and his wife's house, even though the witch didn't like me. She had been fake nice this whole time and to my knowledge she didn't visit me once.

Harry looked down at me, sending me a soft guilty smile. "I'm sorry." He whispered as he planted a kiss to my forehead. He carefully laid me down on the couch, his eyes scanning the place for someone.

"Who are you looking for?" I asked him as I watched. Harry looked down at me, his mouth curving into a smile.

"Gramma."

"Who?" I asked again.

"Fretta, she said she would get the lake house ready for us. She must be still there." Harry said, more to himself. He peeked out the curtains, his hand muscles flexing as he did so. I layed there silently, my eyes closing as I heard Harry softly humming to himself. Harry relaxed me, he made me feel better about this whole situation. He was calm when I was about ready to burst from the seems.

"No." A woman's voice said, age laced with an accent. "I'm right here ya know."

Harry turned, his smile growing bigger. I turned, my eyes falling on the woman I've learned to call gramma. I had no idea why my brain didn't recognize her name, who could forget an angel like her? Fretta smiled, patting Harry's cheeks with her wrinkled hands. "How is she?"

"Ask her yourself." Harry smiled, turning to me and sending me a secret wink. I blushed, looking at Fretta as she turned to face me. Her face lifted up happily, her eyes filling up with tears. She wobbled over to me, embracing me in a hug- a hug that had strength to it. I whimpered in pain softly, Harry quickly pulling Fretta away to pull her to his side. She hardly noticed, her arm wrapping around his torso.

"Are you two hungry?"

"Fretta, have you gotten the lake house ready for us?" Harry said ignoring her polite question.

"Oh, in fact I have. I stocked it up with food and your essentials. Carli's clothes are neatly packed in the closet. Yours' well, they're still in your suitcase. I thought you are more capable of putting your own things where you want them." Harry nodded, looking over at me.

"Are you ready to head out?" Harry smiled, carefully picking me up in his arms. I nodded, slipping my arm around his neck. I giggled softly as he brushed his lips against my neck, giving me shivers of a lost feeling. Harry carried me to the lake house, making talk with Fretta as she hobbled along with us. I thought that it was cute how Harry interacted with her, I knew that she was more than a servant figure to him. I planted a kiss to Harry's lips, giggling as he pecked mine back several times.

"I love you." Harry whispered as he sat me in a rocking chair that was planted on the backyard deck. The view was amazing, the pond and the tall green trees made my heart beat faster. It was much prettier than the plain looking walls of my old hospital room. The air was crisp, my lungs thanking me for pushing through the hard wall that I had to fight against for my life. My fingers touched the soft wood of the old rocking chair, my smile much more warm and alive. Harry handing me my current book I was reading, a smile on his face. He had been more happy since we left the hospital, his face lightening up the room. I guess he was glad that I was alive and well, for the most part.

I could still tell that he was hiding his guilt from me, his green orbs hiding emotions that he didn't want me to know about. I wanted him to open up, I wanted him to show me how he felt. But for now I just had to wait, and right now I can wait only just a short amount of time.

Harry, I love you.

Open up to me again.

What are you hiding?