S1: 9: Within the castle

⚠️This chapter contains sensitive topic. If you're uncomfortable with abuse/curse words, please skip this chapter⚠️

_________________

Yeona and Minho walked as quiet as a mouse when they enter the castle. By the time they get back, night already falls.

'The castle looks extra eerie in the night' Yeona thought.

She looks around. With no one around, it felt like she was entering an abandoned castle. The only differences are the furniture and paintings didn't have dust or spiderwebs on them.

Even though she had been living there for a while, she still felt like a stranger entering someone's home. Suddenly, they heard footsteps and people talking from afar.

Minho pulled Yeona into the shadows, hiding from whoever was there. His large back shields Yeona small figure as his eyes wanders around the hall. Yeona couldn't help but look away.

The voices slowly fade away. Minho waited a few more seconds just to be sure before finally walking out from the shadow. Yeona followed him. As they were about to continue, a deep voice boomed from behind.

"First, you leave the meeting without a notice and now you came back home this late?"

Minho and Yeona turned around. The king who was bathed by the moonlight had a fierce look on his face. He was glaring at Minho. Yeona became stiff, not knowing what to do. Minho pushed her behind him, shielding her from the king.

"I had an emergency" Minho replied with a straight face.

"What could be more important than the meeting?" The king asked, in a more serious tone.

Minho remained silent. His head hung low.

"You are such a disgrace to this family. Just like your mother" The king rolled his eyes, showing his pure annoyances.

Minho snapped. He glared back at the king. His fist clenches.

"Heh, at least I'm not the asshole like someone" He replied with a smirk

The king's eyes widen as he looked at him in disbelief. Yeona could see the king's jaw tightened, he had fire in his eyes. In a blink of a second, the king raised his hand and was ready to slap Minho.

Smack!

The hand hits the target except someone else had intervened and received the slap for Minho. The king widens his eyes, even more, when he saw Yeona standing in between him and Minho.

Yeona became dizzy, her vision blurred. She didn't see the bloodthirsty eyes of the king. Minho quickly pulled her to him. He examined her red cheek as Yeona tried to smile as if everything was fine even though she felt like collapsing.

"You uncivil servant! How dare you intervene in my business!" The king raised his voice. He grabs her dress and pulled her closer to him.

Yeona looked at the king with a horrified face.

"You shall be punished!" The king exclaimed

Before the King could do anything, Minho pulled her away from the king. They both stepped further away from him. The king's breathing became heavier as his eyes completely changed into a beast.

"That is enough father! I won't let you hurt her in my watch!" Minho exclaimed without any single trace of intimidation.

The king laughed. A horrible laugh that sends shivers down the spine.

"You?! A useless person like you would 'protect' her? You couldn't even protect your mother or yourself!" He laughed again.

"Do you think I would be scared of your... Threat?" He scoffed.

Minho gulped. His body started to shake. The king marched forward. Minho remained still as if he was in a trance. Yeona shakes his body a little and called his name to wake him up to reality but it was in vain.

So, she decided to stand in between the two of them again. This time she glares at the king, despite her body's shaking. The king scoffed again, laughing at her pitiful attempt of acting brave.

"Your majesty! Duke Eden is here to see you" a knight said from behind them.

Yeona and the king turned around to see the shivering knight bowing at the king. The king composed himself. He let out a long sigh as he looks up. He looked Yeona at the corner of his eyes.

He gave an evil smirk before turning around. He leaves them both in the hall. The knight followed the king with his head hung low. Yeona fell to her knees. This was one of the scariest experience she ever faced and her guts tell her this thing won't end here.

After finally calming herself down a little, Yeona remembered Minho who was behind her. She stands up and turned to him. He was paralyzed.

"Hey, Minho? Lee Minho? Are you ok? Hey?" Yeona called him.

Minho looked at her. Their eyes locked for a moment before he fainted. Yeona panicked. She called out his name, hoping for him to wake up. Suddenly, Yeona felt a presence coming closer towards them from behind.

She turns around, alarmed it might be the king again. Instead, a woman walking towards them casually. She eyed Yeona through her glasses then shifted her gaze towards Minho.

"Come with me," she said with her dull eyes.