Chapter 78 - Allies

_ So, Amadeo is not here at all, Mr. Tomio?

Eloah Fortescue asks with an extremely displeased expression. In front of her is Fumio, the young Veneficus, with his typical social smile. He replies, calmly:

_ No, Lady Fortescue. They left a few days ago, as I said, because of Meigdan's disaster. We haven't seen each other since.

Eloah taps her fingers on the table slowly. Her black eyes don't have any light. She strokes the report in front of her, but each touch is more aggressive than the last. In contrast, Fumio seems calm... more than he should.

_ Do you have any suggestions as to where Amadeo might be, Mr. Tomio? _ She asks, coldly.

_ No, ma'am. But, if I have to guess about what happened, he must have "run away" on purpose. It wouldn't be the first time, correct? _ He smiles _ Whether you want or not, he has a slightly "rebellious" side, if you allow me to say such.

_ Yes. Certainly. _ Eloah's expression relaxes a little _ Do you and Amadeo know each other well? By the way you speak, you seem quite intimate.

_ Actually, yes. _ Fumio adjusts his posture in the chair _ A few months ago, we met during a mission in a Research Unit in Flavi. You yourself sent him to help us there. _ He pauses briefly _ We have become friends since then. Practically only by letters, but still, friends.

Eloah nods, and lets the silence unfolds until it becomes uncomfortable. The sound of breathing and swallowing becomes louder and louder. Fumio breaks it:

_ I think I may be able to help you "deal" with Amadeo, Lady Fortescue. After all, we're friends! I commit to inform you about what I find out. _ He smiles.

Eloah gets up. She smiles too. Moving away from the table, she says:

_ Mr. Tomio, you are one of the exceptional people who are entitled to their own class. You are definitely not a fool. I am very pleased to know that you are pondering well about your choices and opportunities.

Fumio stands and bows cordially.

_ Of course, Lady Fortescue. If I may say so, I have a personal policy of following my "instincts", so to speak. It was such "instincts" that allowed me to be here now. _ He puts his hand on his chest _ Currently, they tell me to become closer to Amadeo.

_ This is an interesting statement. Is there a reason? _ Eloah interrupts.

_ Well, it's more likely that there are several. The most obvious is that... _ He smiles showing his teeth _ ...it's very profitable to be a close friend of the one who's most likely to become the Magnum Paragon, in one or two mandates. You must agree with me; you're a close friend of Godeve Busia, right? Or at least, that's what rumors say.

_ I agree, indeed. _ Eloah extends her hand towards Fumio _ I am happy to be able to count on you, Mr. Tomio, as an ally.

Fumio accepts the handshake. Eloah outlines wickedness; he, serenity.