Chapter 93 - Magnum

_ Godeve!!! _ Eloah's voice resounds as she runs; her eyes full of tears.

Without delay, the blonde embraces the other in a desperate hug.

She lands her hands gently over some of the most grotesque wounds. Godeve says:

_ Eloah, my dear, thank you.

_ Don't speak! Be quiet, Eve! _ Eloah exclaims.

_ Ah, it's been so long since you called me that... _ Godeve hugs her back, while the painful healings continue.

The silence extends until Godeve's visible bleedings cease completely. Eloah holds back her tears. She squeezes her friend's clothes, with her face hidden by the bangs.

Godeve feels that breathing has become easier, and she is overwhelmed with relief. Muttering a few secret words, she says goodbye to Sugar-plum, that vanishes in a mist of sparkling stars. Eloah says:

_ Eve... Do you remember when we met? You were a Secundus-Ordinis Parvus and I had just come in as Puer-Minori. You helped all the newcomers, but I'll never forget when you invited me for lunch, because I was always by myself...

Eloah stops, and takes a deep breath, with her whole body shaking. Godeve smiles nostalgically, feeling safe in that hug she hadn't received for so, so long.

_ You said: "It doesn't matter if you're a Fortescue, much less if you're a Paragon. I want to be your friend because you look nice, Eloah"... _ Eloah's voice wavers _ You said that... You were the only one, Eve, who told me it would be okay if I joined the Research Unit to create my...

_ Techno-magic gadgets! _ Complete Godeve _ Heh! And then, you improved infusions to treat overload, created high-energy cannons, innovated systems of all kinds...

_ Yes... All thanks to you. _ She presses her lips together. _ After that, you asked me to join the Executive... after my accident.

Silence.

Godeve knows how frightening that memory is to Eloah: The image of her entire team dead; her long days of work in flames; a wound that continues to hurt to this day.

Eloah says:

_ But... there's something I didn't tell you, Eve, about the accident, and now, it doesn't make any difference. _ She squeezes Godeve harder _ You are the person I most admired in my entire life; the only one I loved with all my heart, but... you are in my way...!

Godeve feels a stinging sensation in her back, spreading through her entire body like a corrosive poison. "N-No...". Eloah continues:

_ Forgive me, Eve... Forgive me... _ She cries, penetrating the blade even deeper _ I didn't want it to end like this, but you're too strong, Eve... You killed a Witch...! Forgive me, Eve...!!