Chapter 12 - Pulse

The Mapinguari moves towards the other one. Johan and Amadeo press themselves against the trees, but the monster seems to sense their presence there, as it stares suspiciously with its huge eye, while emitting low grunts.

"They probably also have those sturdy eyelids. It'll be very difficult to kill both of them the way we just did." Amadeo thinks and looks at Johan. In sign languages, he asks: "Divide?". Amadeo understands the message and agrees, replying: "You get the smaller one". Johan frowns, feeling underestimated.

The two Mapinguaris meet and smell each other. The smaller one lets out a powerful howl. Both look around as if expecting something, with no answer. Amadeo undoes the invisibility spell, remaining hidden behind the trees. He pulls the metal molds and starts creating a weapon. Johan feels a shiver and, without hesitation, grabs Amadeo by his clothes and throws him onto the floor with a rotating movement. At the same moment, he feels heavy claws tearing the skin off his back. The biggest of the monsters appears behind the tree with its hand stained with bright red blood.

Amadeo pulls Johan closer and creates a dome-shaped barrier. "I didn't even hear him move...", he thinks as Johan clenches his fists in pain. The monster hits the dome with both hands; it bends discreetly. Amadeo's thoughts run fast and all of them have catastrophic outcomes. "I've attacks strong enough to kill this thing, but the other one hasn't even appeared yet. I can't use fire in the middle of a forest either. If I pass out, Johan'll be alone and he's already hurt. And then we're both going to die...", he thinks; eyes wide open.

_ Amadeo!! _ Johan says looking up _ Why are you scared?!

They face each other for a mere instant. The Paragon carefully watches the giant's arms moving down towards him. He remembers the words of one of his teachers, years ago: "The barrier absorbs impact by distributing the pressure radially. Therefore, it forms as concentric circles, from the periphery to the center. Theoretically, many things can break a barrier, but practically nothing can stop it from forming...".

Suddenly the barrier that protects the two disappears; Johan fixes his gaze on Amadeo's focused face. His expression is balanced and peaceful, as if everything is under control. Johan holds his breath and decides, in a split second, to trust the Paragon.

When the blow is almost hitting the target, Amadeo makes an agile hand movement and a small barrier, with a diameter within 50cm, forms around the monster's wrist. It strangles the hand and cuts it off before the Mapinguari could finish crushing its victims. It howls in pain and shakes violently.

Johan feels the weight and warmth of that member on his own body, but soon Amadeo pushes it away, without letting any blood touch their skin. With a new movement, he opens a weapon creation portal. Johan doesn't hesitate to pass the metal parts through it. He pulls out a spear which he then uses to stand up and strike the monster.

_ As expected from a Body Aberration... He doesn't even think. _ Amadeo says, smiling, while watching Johan's lacerated back slowly forming its protective crust.

He stands up and watches the blood splashing from the monster's great wound. Johan dodges the counterattacks gracefully, but fails to avoid the poisonous stains that already dye his clothes.

_ I know the vibration of this poison... If I pay attention... _ Amadeo closes his eyes and leaves his hands spread out to the sky, making tiny movements with his fingers.

Johan notices the centimetric barriers that form around him, protecting him from the spills. "How does he do it...?", he thinks, looking back as he dodges a blow with a backflip.

_ I don't get you, Amadeo! _ Johan growls; the other is confused.

However, the smaller Mapinguari approaches him from behind. As soon as he stands, Johan throws the spear towards the enemy. Amadeo dodges the weapon and the monster has its tough leather perforated. Johan runs towards them, and instinctively extends his hand to Amadeo again. The blonde, agile, makes the circle and pass the pieces through. The weapon flies to Johan, ready to take it in hand.... however... The colossal arm of the other monster interposes in-between, deviating the weapon and grabbing Johan by his legs. He throws the boy towards of the huge mouth, but Johan manages to hold himself between its teeth. He rests both hands on the upper lip, and uses the injured leg knee to prevent the monster from closing its jaw.